This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rufio79

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
If you want equal pay from day 1, go work for a CMG. Of course you are going to have a painful sweat equity track with a SDG. Why is that a surprise? That sounds like a ~50% pay cut for a 2 year buy in which is probably fairly standard for many areas. After that, you probably get access to profit distributions and get to skim off the other new docs on a partnership track with all the other benefits of partner.

Alternatively...you can hit the ground running at full pay on day 1 with a CMG (probably with a sizable sign on bonus) for a 2-3 yr contract with an hourly rate probably very close to what the SDG partners are making.

There's always more risk in making a decision to pursue a SDG partnership track but that's just the nature of the beast. The irony is that many of these SDG partnership gigs sound like a USACS job listing.

And always remember that a SDG is free to sell out or lose a contract to a CMG before your sweat equity period is over. Feels good man.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Alternatively...you can hit the ground running at full pay on day 1 with a CMG (probably with a sizable sign on bonus) for a 2-3 yr contract with an hourly rate probably very close to what the SDG partners are making.
Not even close. SDG partner compensation wins hands down.

Not even close. SDG partner compensation wins hands down.
Dude we've got a CMG gig here in town earning $340/hr from day 1. I know you're a big SDG zealot but c'mon...do you honestly expect us to believe that the majority of SDGs earn well over that amount? The last SDG gig I looked at had partners earning an average of $265/hr with around 40K profit distributions annually after a 2year 50% sweat equity buy in. That partner rate is very comparable to CMG compensation in my area with zero buy in. There might be some exceptions like you and EctopicFetus but you guys are probably exceptions to the norm. Another SDG in the eastern part of my state had an almost identical partnership compensation after seeing the books years ago with the exception of a 1 year buy in.

Dude we've got a CMG gig here in town earning $340/hr from day 1. I know you're a big SDG zealot but c'mon...do you honestly expect us to believe that the majority of SDGs earn well over that amount? The last SDG gig I looked at had partners earning an average of $265/hr with around 40K profit distributions annually after a 2year 50% sweat equity buy in. That partner rate is very comparable to CMG compensation in my area with zero buy in. There might be some exceptions like you and EctopicFetus but you guys are probably exceptions to the norm. Another SDG in the eastern part of my state had an almost identical partnership compensation after seeing the books years ago with the exception of a 1 year buy in.
On average across the country you will make more per hour and total salary in a SDG. There are exceptions and the less desirable SE being one of them. CMGs are forced to pay more there because there is a higher demand/supply ratio of EPs. You will almost always make more when someone isn’t skimming off the top. Economy of scale doesn’t make CMGs more profitable or better paying. They typically become profitable by squeezing staffing and cutting costs to labor i.e. us.

In my area (large SE metro), you might make more per hour out of the gate working for a CMG but you will do so seeing more patients per hour with significantly fewer resources and receive fewer benefits. As a pre-partner in a significantly sized regional SDG with a buy-in option for partnership, my hourly guaranteed rate is actually higher than local CMGs and my W2 benefits are better. I could choose to stay a pre-partner forever and probably do very well financially or take on more risk by buying in to the practice where there is potential for substantial financial gain.

Highly variable. I’m a big sdg guy. That being said you should be making 20-30% above cmgs in your market. If you aren’t the sdg isn’t run well.

One other consideration moving forward. The cmgs will be cutting pay soon. Sdgs have taken their hit.

Some sdgs are making 50-100% more per hour than cmgs pay.

In addition sdgs can control staffing whereas cmgs do it and often don’t care what the docs want.

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.