-

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deleted1164967

[deleted]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
How is your application technology centered? Doubt it's worth sending an application to JHU/Harvard/Penn based on GPA alone.

shadowing 100
Clinical volunteering 350
NC voluteering 180
leadership/clubs 550
Thanks for the hours, but we need much more detail to assess mission fit. Great job with the MCAT jump. Do you need Casper or PREview?

Tell us more about your theme of technology in medicine and how your activities support your development along that trajectory.

Members don't see this ad :)
3.8x GPA is a great GPA, to be sure, but in fairness to @JisungHan these numbers are around the 10th percentile at the very top med schools. So, not a slam dunk to get in with that GPA.

Reactions: 1 user
I really can't comment on whether or not you should apply somewhere specifically. I will say, apply where ever your heart desires but understand that stats - both GPA and MCAT - are an important part of the admissions equation. The top schools get a hundred or more applications with 4.0 GPAs and 520+ MCAT stats. Give them reasons to pick you with 3.8x and 520 stats. Write passionately and persuasively and practice interviewing.

So it sounds like you have a strong interest in PM&R, which is where I think O&P resides. Exactly what was your inspiration from interactions with geriatric or PM&R patients?

Of course, every school has PM&R, so this doesn't address mission fit in and of itself.

[deleted]

Last edited by a moderator:
@Mr.Smile12 I've updated my description a bit, please take another look!. @MrPuff @JisungHan is GPA really weighed over MCAT? I thought it would be less relevant with a decent score.
I agree with @MrPuff in that a 3.8X GPA is already really solid. You don't need to attend a T20 to be a great doctor, but I really doubt it's worth the energy, time, or money to apply to those schools as you are not above the median GPA, and you don't come from a traditionally disadvantaged background, so there is little leeway to begin with.

Came into geriatric service through my work with Neurodegenerative diseases. Saw the daily struggles of geriatric patients and learned a lot about their resilience from interacting with them when they shared their wisdom and interests. I could also see how some patients struggled with understanding their treatments, and how technology could help bridge the gap for them. Became interested in personalized and precision medicine -> worked with physicians/researchers/engineers to create the service that delivers them simplified info.
You'd be a decent applicant to UCSF/UCLA. Definitely capitalize on those secondaries if you receive them.

Reactions: 1 users
You are applying to too many schools (some of which will average your 509). Skip these secondaries:

JHU
Yale
Harvard
Stanford
UCLA
Georgetown (expects more clinical and non-clinical hours)

Add these:
WUSTL
Dartmouth
Brown
Case
Cincinnati
Iowa
Hofstra

Status
Not open for further replies.