This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fluffyquail

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Is this school just glorified Carribean?

Yes. This is why most of us suggest to never apply to new DO schools.

COCA mandates 1 rotation with residents in an inpatient setting. If your school isn’t meeting that then they are already cutting corners, which is indicative of how they will operate in the future.

Members don't see this ad :)
Freaking out because I just learned that my new COM school only has outpatient core rotations for literally everything. Trying to gain knowledge with aways, but I see schools only allowing aways to LCME/COCA. Does anyone know what happened with ICOMs first students?

Is this school just glorified Carribean? Even the Carribean students at least rotate inpatient right?
A lack of inpatient medicine should result in school closure, my god it never ceases to amaze me how awful some new DO school curriculae are. You can't complete any ACGME residency without some inpatient experience, and not preparing students for that experience is a critical failure in education.

Going to echo what others have said about reaching out to prior students or seniors. Your school is a participating entity in VSLO so you could apply to any participating program through there as well, even if they haven't taken students before

Reactions: 4 users
Yep, new DO schools continue to be a joke. I recently visited one and asked them about their rotations - they had preceptorships for everything and almost no inpatient, residency based rotations. It's going to be a hunger games for students to get one. It should be mandatory from COCA that they prove they have inpatient rotations available for EVERY student before they are allowed to begin enrolling their first class.

Oh - and yes - I still ask EVERY DO student to tell me about their inpatient internal medicine rotation on a residency service. 25% say they haven't had one. Which automatically puts them in the bottom 1/3rd of the rank list (we are an IM program)

• Sad
Reactions: 7 users
A lack of inpatient medicine should result in school closure, my god it never ceases to amaze me how awful some new DO school curriculae are. You can't complete any ACGME residency without some inpatient experience, and not preparing students for that experience is a critical failure in education.
Let’s be clear: It’s not just new DO schools. Plenty of old, “established” DO schools offer extremely low-quality rotations for large proportions of their student bodies. COCA’s accreditation standards are widely known to be a joke. DO schools have no incentive to invest in affiliations with hospitals when they can just send their students to tiny private practices for month-long shadowing experiences.

A lot of SDN users like to pretend that the bias against DOs in the residency application process is founded purely on elitism and senseless bigotry. Really, the bias is justified if one takes into account the enormous disparity in the quality of clinical education between DO schools and their MD counterparts.

The path forward is quite simple: Abolish COCA, along with all the other osteopathic organizations. Merge the degrees. Shut down the schools that are unable to meet LCME accreditation standards.

Reactions: 10 users
I checked and called VSLO - they are not in VSLO. The school said they're not going to be in VSLO until a year later when they need to be. VSLO said if its a USDO then they don't see any issues with them joining VSLO.

But joining VSLO or not is not the problem, it's that most of those away rotations are looking for LCME/COCA accredited schools. By the time I get there, I'll still be looking for away slots with pre-accreditation. I don't know if I can apply for rotations away with pre-accreditation.
That's so weird. Here's info directly from VSLO's site as of five minutes ago:
isparticipant.png
idahocom.png

Let's say aways can happen ... do I need to find an inpatient IM during June-August or can that be done Sept-Nov? Do you need to see the inpatient IM rotation in the ERAS app?

100% try to get July/Aug/Sept. Mostly because a LOR from your subi will be a huge help. Definitely you want it before you interview, but try to get it before you apply.

Reactions: 1 user
Do yourself a favor. Forget about this school and take a year to improve your app for other and better schools. The future you will thank you.

Oh boy Goro, 5 year ago thumbz would have said you're crazy and that it's not worth the opportunity cost of a year of physician salary as there's a 90%+ chance you'll still get a residency.

Today thumbz agrees with you fully though. The chance of getting the residency YOU WANT is so much smaller from one of these new DO schools, and in the next 5 years with all the openings I suspect we will start to see match rates drop below 95% for a lot of the new schools. And given burnout in medicine, let alone if you end up doing FP because you can't get anything else, it now seems so much more worth the opportunity cost. Imagine if you decide you would love to do anesthesia, but stand no chance of matching there thanks to your med school.

• Love
Members don't see this ad :)
Comp NW. your partner will understand

I went to an older established school.

Every core rotation except 1 was outpatient for me.

I made nearly every single rotation during 4th year an inpatient rotation to compensate.

Due to personal health, I may not be able to attend a rural school regardless of better opportunity. I want to learn how to make the best of it!
I thought Portland was an hour or so away and you would have significantly less issues with your allergy problems there?

If something else has unfortunately popped up for your health recently, I can understand though if you need closer access to hospitals and would rather not share it.

COMP-NW is not located in portland, it's located in Lebanon, OR - rural in the middle of the grass capital of the nation. I had asthma when I was there to visit. Apparently they're the grass capital of the nation. I struggle with like 25 "grass units" of pollen in the same latitude, but they go up to 1500....

It is unclear to me yet whether urban-ish Kansas, ranked #1 for allergies will be better than Lebanon, OR.
a 3rd option (also rural..) recently popped up as well and I will need to visit.
I see, I did not know they were in a grass capital of the nation since the rest of the NW is known for less allergens.

Reactions: 1 users
That part of Kansas is high in allergies too. Dunno if grass but I went to residency not too far and our allergy panels for the area were always high with clinical sx

Reactions: 1 users
When I visited Kansas in late April, I was OK. But I heard that May June is when people harvest wheat crops, and then August - Nov is bad from ragweed. Would you agree DO2015CA?

Its hard because I am guaranteed to have a hard spring/summer in Western, and then a ? but most likely better fall. In Kansas, for know I know Ill be alright in April, and guaranteed a very hard time in the fall.

My last option is rural KY/ WV area. (KYCOM) which in theory will share the same plants as my home state IL. I have heard allergies are bad in Louisville, KY + areas. Do you guys know anything about allergies in the Appalachia? There’s just not much data about allergy/pollen/anything in this region.
I think for your situation, you would have to visit to see what happens. Just from some of the weather sites that report allergens, all 3 cities for these schools are reporting very high grass pollen right now.

When I visited Kansas in late April, I was OK. But I heard that May June is when people harvest wheat crops, and then August - Nov is bad from ragweed. Would you agree DO2015CA?

Its hard because I am guaranteed to have a hard spring/summer in Western, and then a ? but most likely better fall. In Kansas, for know I know Ill be alright in April, and guaranteed a very hard time in the fall.

My last option is rural KY/ WV area. (KYCOM) which in theory will share the same plants as my home state IL. I have heard allergies are bad in Louisville, KY + areas. Do you guys know anything about allergies in the Appalachia? There’s just not much data about allergy/pollen/anything in this region.
I think it depends on how bad your allergies are to an extent. Like if it’s a nuisance and you are using OTC meds to control them then go to the best education opportunity. If you are dependent on regularly allergy shots and you can’t find an allergist in Oregon then you go where you can get proper medical care while going to school.

Today I have learned of the Ohio River Valley. Apparently it makes for an abundance of fall allergies.

It looks like my options are to suffer no matter wherever I go!
Your options are to suffer no matter where you choose.. even if you didn’t have allergies.. that is medicine

Reactions: 4 users
Freaking out because I just learned that my new COM school only has outpatient core rotations for literally everything. Trying to gain knowledge with aways, but I see schools only allowing aways to LCME/COCA. Does anyone know what happened with ICOMs first students?

Is this school just glorified Carribean? Even the Carribean students at least rotate inpatient right?
You can always look at transferring to another DO school after the first 2 years. The best time to transfer is after completing the first two (preclinical) years.

• Dislike
Status
Not open for further replies.