This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EtomidateAndSux

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm trying to switch fields and have been applying to a bunch of PGY-1/2 IM and FM listings on Resident Swap. However, I get emails from maybe 5-10% of them at best while the rest don't even bother to reply with the time of day. I can't imagine they're getting filled that quickly. What gives?
What exactly is residency swap? Sounds like a catfishing scheme

What exactly is residency swap? Sounds like a catfishing scheme
Nah it’s legit. It’s a website where programs list spots that went unfilled after SOAP/scramble. I know of a couple people who successfully switched programs through it.

OP, it’s hard to say what the issue is since you’re not hearing back. If it’s a spot in a desirable area then it may in fact have filled already. I don’t know what your stats are or if you have any red flags, but those could also come into play. Have you looped in your current PD yet? And if so, have you sent a PD LOR to these programs yet?

Reactions: 1 user
My (very limited) understanding of residentswap.org is that positions may be listed there that the site has determined are "open" from other sources -- i.e. not posted by a program itself. If that's the case, you can imagine that programs get inundated with requests to fill spots that either don't exist, or are already filled. Although I agree that the amount of work involved with responding to your email with a "it's filled" or whatever is pretty minimal, I can also imagine that a program getting tons of unwanted emails like this might just trash them.

i'd find the phone number for the coordinator listed and call them to inquire about your application

Well then. Is it fair to say that I'll probably have much better results through applying for next year's match?
Hard to say, depending on what you mean by "results". Looking at prior year application mega-threads, a sizable number of programs never bother to send out rejection notices. Personally I think this is pretty lazy, since it's super easy to do via ERAS. So you may see a similar situation with ERAS apps, but hopefully get a good number of interviews!

Status
Not open for further replies.