This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1146999

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the risk with the military. Hard to say exactly what the application process will be like by the time you are looking to match. They actually had a class a few years ago where they only took 3 (!) navy radiology residents total because radiology was overmanned. They also weren’t training fellows for a while.

As to what happens if you don’t match: you do an intern year and then a gmo tour. I don’t think that pathway is slated to go away entirely with the push for more straight through training though it will make the path back to residency harder when it isn’t the norm. Back when I matched residency they weren’t taking anyone from intern year to rads so we were all some flavor of gmo/umo/flight surgeon. Going forward that will change.

The big thing to assess if you don’t match is if you are actually competitive or not. I’ve seen a few people that kept applying every year whose application was fundamentally unsuited for the specialty but usually the program directors should let you know that though they may try to be nice about it. If you aren’t actually competitive no amount of waiting will get you a spot.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for the detailed answer! Uncertainty is definitely hard to deal with, but only 3 Rad spots is quite a hard pill to swallow. If you don't match, could you apply again intern year? or are you forced to go GMO and then reapply?
It used to be you had to apply during intern year in the Navy, there were no preselected residents out of med school. I believe now they are taking some preselects so that has changed.

But yeah you can apply every year starting in intern year though in your first year as a gmo you might need some kind of waiver to cut your orders short if you get selected.

I can't speak with authority on the Navy specifically. I would recommend contacting a MS4 at USUHS or Radiology preselect intern for a more recent take.

But in general terms.... the military match can vary drastically from year to year and you are looking at applying 3-4 years from now. Currently the Navy is (I think) still on the downswing and training spots are harder to get. Absolutely no one knows if when you graduate it will be worse, better, or the same.

I'm not a civilian PD, but from what I have heard in discussions with my peers, if you are a decent applicant you will get a spot in the civilian match. It may not be a tier I program, but if you want to do Rads and that is your primary objective, then your absolute odds of success may be higher outside the military.

The risk you take in the military is that the number and type of spots will change based on the needs of the service at any given time. Those swing wildly around.

If you get lucky and time it right, it can be smooth sailing and you train in what you want. If not, you are a GMO or do your second choice residency.

I don't mean that to be overly discouraging, but as others have said - you have to understand and be ok with the fact that you give up all control over what you will ultimately train in. The Navy/Air Force/Army will decide if they need you to doctor, where, how much, and as what kind of doctor.

To give you an example, I went this route. When I applied to med school, Radiology was roses and they had so many slots they let anyone who applied have a shot. When I graduated there were 2-3 PGY-1 slots only (all AD, no sponsored or deferred) and non-preselects were being forced into a mandatory flight doc tour. By the time I graduated residency they were back up to something like 20ish combined PGY-1/PGY-2 slots.

I got pretty lucky, but it easily could have broken the other way.