MD .

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LightSphere

Reaction score
Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Excellent chance! Especially coming from a T20.
—Don’t do a research year. You have plenty of research already. (Only do a research year if you don’t match)
—2 aways are very important. Don’t waste them on reach programs. Check Doximity rankings and go for mid-tier programs that are attainable.
—Your Step 2 score isn’t super strong, so that will probably hurt for the elite programs
—Applying to a back up specialty depends on how badly you want ophtho. Is it worth taking the risk to do a research fellowship for one year if you don’t match and reapply again?

Reactions: 1 user
—Applying to a back up specialty depends on how badly you want ophtho. Is it worth taking the risk to do a research fellowship for one year if you don’t match and reapply again?
How do programs in competitive specialties view reapplicants anyway?

Members don't see this ad :)
How do programs in competitive specialties view reapplicants anyway?
Like every other field, your best odds are applying as a U.S. MD senior. Some reapplicants match, some don’t. Definitely harder.

Last edited:
I'll be applying this upcoming cycle. Given how increasingly competitive the ophtho match has become over the past 2 years, I wanted to get a sense of my chances and if I should apply to a backup specialty or do a research year.

T20 USMD with home program
Step 1: Pass
Step 2: 256
Clinical Grades: Honors on almost all core rotations (including IM/surgery) except 1
Research: 4 mid-author publications (2 are ophtho related), 2 ophtho abstracts/posters, currently working on several ophtho projects
ECs: Some volunteering and interest group activities
Planning on doing 2 away rotations
You have wonderful credentials. Top 20. Good number of Pubs. Good Clinical grades. I will also mention, Good STEP 2 (as you have taken super early compared to others and this year, this is wild card (guinea pigs), which people will know, how much will depend on this. at this point no one know, how program directors are going to view it and what weitage will be given. Applying for back up is individual comfort. First applying for backup takes away something (you like it or not) from primary application. back up residency program director knows they are back up, looking at your away interest. finally for your level comfort, apply broadly. top tier as well as mid tier.

You’ll almost certainly match middle to middle-upper tier if you have good connections, letters, interview, etc. I don’t think top tier is unobtainable if you have the right backing.

For your aways, since you have 2, I’d suggest splitting your bets. Pick one place in those middle tiers where you’d want to be, geographically, culture, whatever. Pick one reach that’s the same. Do well and don’t be a psycho (same for your interviews), and you should be fine.