This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aspiringmd4315

Reaction score
Hi! I’m SO fortunate to have options to choose from but I’m struggling to make a final decision between Miami Miller and NJMS.

A little about me: I grew up in NJ and went to undergrad in Boston so I’ve lived in the northeast most of my life. I do value being able to spend time with my family (who is in NJ) and friends (who are mostly now in NYC). However attending NJMS would end up being a decent amount more expensive than Miami, where I was lucky enough to receive a full-tuition scholarship.

Based on what I’ve read online/from talking to former students, I think I would be happy with either program, with maybe a slight preference for Miami. Both are in areas with a diverse patient population, have strong match lists, and seem to have lots of opportunities for hands-on clinical experience. Miami does have a shorter (14-month) pre-clinical curriculum which I think would be nice, and more opportunities for dual degrees (interested in doing the MD/MS in genomics). Still unsure of what specialty I want to pursue, but for now I have interest in internal medicine and derm.

If anyone has any additional advice or anecdotes about the schools, that would be greatly appreciated!

NJMS

Pros:
  • Theoretically could live at home to save money on living expenses (~ 1 hour commute)
  • Close to family/friends and easy to get to NYC
  • Easier to match in the Northeast?
Cons:
  • More expensive even with in-state tuition: $44,435 tuition
  • Longer pre-clinical curriculum (although I don’t know if this is necessarily a con)
  • Not a huge fan of Newark
Miami

Pros:
  • Full-tuition scholarship!
  • Warm weather & beach
  • New city, more walkable
  • Opportunities for MD/MS
Cons:
  • No family/friends in the area
  • Haven’t been to Miami so not sure if I would like it (although I will be visiting before making my final decision)

Members don't see this ad.

Miami! Great school and you get a tuition break! Better than a 1hr commute to and from school each day!

I would say Miami as well. The scholarship is nice and you will meet a lot of people in medical school, so I wouldn’t worry. Congrats!

Status
Not open for further replies.