-

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed53278957

Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So you went 0 for 30 on interviews. A list would help.

But the advice you received would be similar to mine: 60 hours of community service is below the minimum threshold of 150. I don't know how you described your activities which also could contribute.

Now that you graduated, you should really show you balance your time between your scribing job and your volunteering. Had you started after you graduated with 3 hours a week, you could accrue 150 hours per year already. Do something as non-clinical as possible. Food distribution, shelter work, job placement services, or housing services are good examples.

I can suggest there are advantages to waiting so your can build that part of your application up. Chances are if you did well on the MCAT, your retake should be pretty similar but you give yourself a chance to move up on the staircase for more competitive schools. If that is part of your expectation for yourself, I would consider a year to rack up more volunteering hours along with your clinical experience to look more like the desirable candidates we see. It's up to you, but unless if you waited until now to get more volunteering hours, it would look like you are check boxing for some. It is up to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
You still have AT LEAST ten weeks before you need to submit your primary. Look up soup kitchens, DV shelters, and homeless shelters in your area. Find out how to volunteer. Try to get at least 8 hours per week, even if that means giving up a weekend day (or taking PTO one day per week). Did you have a chance to use MSAR to see which public schools accept out of state students with a 516? Arizona, Wisconsin, Michigan and Ohio State may have been a reach. Also, beware that many of these schools have a very high service expectation (to underserved communities), such as Creighton, Tulane, and Boston University. Mayo, Michigan, Stanford, and Northwestern all tend to have a higher research requirement.

Reactions: 1 user
It was your lack of in person physician shadowing and low non clinical volunteering hours that resulted in no interviews. You need 50 hours of in person physician shadowing and another 100 hours of non clinical volunteering before you reapply.
When you do reapply with those hours I suggest these schools:
Minnesota
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
St. Louis
TCU
NOVA MD
USF Morsani
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Hackensack
Hofstra
Einstein
New York Medical College
Albany
Rochester
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Belmont (when it opens)

I’ll agree. Your lack of volunteering sunk you before you even started. Had you checked the boxes, you’d be in medschool now. Check those boxes and you’ll at least get IIs.

Reactions: 1 user