This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dinosaur2579

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your input! I’m going to wait for financial aid to come out which probably will be my deciding factor.

*currently unknown financial aid
  1. University of Pennsylvania
Pros:
Location - I've always wanted to live in a city and I like Philly alot, UPenn was my top choice for undergrad
Prestige/resources/connections
Global opportunities seem plentiful

Cons:
Grading system during clinical years is not P/F/ more competitive environment
My faculty interviewer didn’t seem enthusiastic about her job (but she might have had alot of interviews lined up)

1. Vanderbilt
Pros:
I REALLY appreciate the supportive environment
Also seem like students have global opportunities
Had a great experience during my interview day

Cons:
Far from family (more than a 8-hour drive and no direct flights)
Not as large a city
Heard exams are two-days long which seem grueling / slightly intimidated by one year pre-clinical

1. Northwestern
Pros:
I like the part of Chicago that it’s located in /large city
A direct flight away from home
Also has a supportive academic environment (have a friend who says that she couldn’t be happier there)

Cons:
2 year preclinical and grading system during clinical years
Also not P/F during clinicals
Doesn’t seem as though as many students do global opportunities

I think my hesitation really boils down to the choice between location and curriculum. A large city has always been my dream so Philly hits the mark. However, Vanderbilt’s focus on student happiness is something that I’m not sure if I can pass up. Northwestern seems somewhere between the two, but I’m just not being pulled to it.
I’m going to second looks, but Vandy’s and Northwestern’s are on the same weekend - leaning towards going to Vanderbilt’s.

TLDR: Heart says Penn but brain says Vandy - how do I make this decision

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 user
Making (basically made) the same decision except replace Penn with hop.

Exact same: my heart said hop but brain said Vandy and I will be following my brain for once lol. Wellness is too important these next few years and I won’t make the mistake of chasing ridiculously marginal prestige/clout for that. My 2 cents

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Penn is definitely the most prestigious of the three, but they’re all good enough I would choose based on other factors. All three are good options, you can’t really go wrong

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you like cheesesteak, deep dish, or hot chicken? Lol.

In all seriousness, it's clear your decision is between Vandy and Penn. As a student at a school that has pass/fail clerkships, is that it is a major game changer wrt stress. I think Vandy does still have internal rankings tho. However, you'll have more than enough resources from both schools to match into whatever you want should you take advantage of them.

So, let's think about the cities. Both cities are very diverse. Nashville has MUCH better weather, while Philly has MUCH better public transportation. Both have international airports. Nashville is more affordable, but Philly has shorter flights across the Atlantic. Culturally, do you prefer Southern culture or Mid-Atlantic culture? What about politically? Nashville area is politically distinct from the rest of Middle Tennessee (it's more similar to Philly), but the state's politics as a whole (aside from Memphis) are very different. Ofc you don't need to state your political views here (please don't haha), but it's something too keep in mind.

might be n = 1 one here but considering cities (chicago, Nashville, Philly), as someone who has lived in both Philly and Chicago, chicago is the best city by far. Especially with NU location, it is the most prime location in chicago and is very safe, has a lot of social outlets (bars, restaurants on the river) while also being close proximity to other neighborhoods (i.e. Wrigleyville) that can give you at least a little taste of the Nashville experience. That being said, the complete p/f aspect of Vandy is hard to not be in deep favor of, but do know that it seems that med students at NU at least tend to not be in intense competition as many of the clerkships are at least 40% based on your clinical skills. More than that, many of the med students in the town halls have been very friendly and stressed that the 2 year preclinical, while still allowing them one afternoon of patient-care a week, has given them a ton of free time to find community.

Congrats!
Would vote for Vandy. p/f clinicals make a world of difference
I go to a school where clinical rotations are graded, and the stress is real.
It's not just about competitiveness. Clinical grades are highly subjective. Even if you study hard and ace the shelf, you can't really guarantee a good grade for yourself.

Do you like cheesesteak, deep dish, or hot chicken? Lol.

In all seriousness, it's clear your decision is between Vandy and Penn. As a student at a school that has pass/fail clerkships, is that it is a major game changer wrt stress. I think Vandy does still have internal rankings tho. However, you'll have more than enough resources from both schools to match into whatever you want should you take advantage of them.

So, let's think about the cities. Both cities are very diverse. Nashville has MUCH better weather, while Philly has MUCH better public transportation. Both have international airports. Nashville is more affordable, but Philly has shorter flights across the Atlantic. Culturally, do you prefer Southern culture or Mid-Atlantic culture? What about politically? Nashville area is politically distinct from the rest of Middle Tennessee (it's more similar to Philly), but the state's politics as a whole (aside from Memphis) are very different. Ofc you don't need to state your political views here (please don't haha), but it's something too keep in mind.
Vandy does not have internal rankings, no AOA, and will be full P/F for all 4 years. Agree on the rest though! Assuming similar COA I would go with the culture you think you’d fit in better and where you see your self being the happiest living for 4 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.