-

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I also do not think it is necessary to tell everyone that you plan on applying to medical school, especially when you state that you already know what residency you would like to match in. Has anyone else had experience with pre-meds who are extremely intense and annoying?
@Northwestern_Anesthesia, yes, yes I have.

• Haha
Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)
At every level of most (if not all) disciplines, you will meet people who lack tact and wisdom. It's annoying but also part of life. Do you best to navigate these waters without letting the bastards get you down.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Honestly this is every “prestigious” profession, you’ll see the exact same thing in tech, consulting, finance, trading, etc. One of my majors was not a “premed” field and I saw the exact same thing, it’s not unique to premeds

These are the people so enamored with prestige and will have attend a T 10 at all costs. And, yes, they are annoying. It's funny, but the majority,(not all), of the docs I have met from HYPSM, and other top schools are generally unassuming down to earth people. Some of the very best doctors I know have amazing pedigrees. I only learned about it after knowing them for years. Maybe the hyper pre meds get screened out?

Man you gotta like go outside or get a hobby or read a book or something lol.

I realize the inherent irony of an internet stranger soliciting advice—and at first I thought you were trolling—but after reading your past threads might I suggest: getting off the internet for a bit or risk getting permanent “pre-med brain”

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Man you gotta like go outside or get a hobby or read a book or something lol.

I realize the inherent irony of an internet stranger soliciting advice—and at first I thought you were trolling—but after reading your past threads might I suggest: getting off the internet for a bit or risk getting permanent “pre-med brain”

Actually yeah he donated a lot of money to the site to be a lifetime donor this might not be a bit after all :oops:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
I think it's universal knowledge that pre-meds are the most neurotic group of individuals that walk the face of the earth. With that said, there is a certain amount of respect to be had for people who are 100% committed to a goal and will do whatever it takes. The issue is when their formula breaks down or life throws a wrench and then they don't know how to handle the variable. Or when they start giving "advice" to other people who may not be as intense as them.

We've also all met certain pre-meds who are completely clueless, or care-free, and somewhere in the middle. I think being a full-neurotic pre-med is better than the former, so long as they manage to get enough self-care and don't spread it to others.

Reactions: 5 users
You will find people like this everywhere (in medical school and residency, we call them "gunners"). The truth is that the farther you go in professional school (and in your career), the more important your character is in addition to your intelligence and drive.

This emphasis on character is a two-way streak - both for how these types of personalities act to others around them, and for how you act toward them. There is a chance that you will end up on a team with someone like this in the future, and learning how to navigate interactions with them is a skill that takes time to build like any other.

Be kind and polite to people like this, and learn how to limit your interactions with them without causing friction. If you learn how to do this now, it will pay off exponentially in your future.

People that act like this just have no idea what boundaries are tbh. They're usually miserable, anxious, and constantly "on." They don't have friends or get invited to beers after work because their energy puts people off.

As a tech professional I've seen it three times, exactly the same way: they go hard for as long as possible until they eventually have a mental breakdown when they slip some crazy deadline they forced on themselves, then FMLA or quit for a significant amount of time. One guy just never came back to work and his LI is totally inactive, no idea what happened to him.

Basically, be a normal person and have hobbies and touch grass sometimes. You're gonna be way better off for it.

People that act like this just have no idea what boundaries are tbh. They're usually miserable, anxious, and constantly "on." They don't have friends or get invited to beers after work because their energy puts people off.

As a tech professional I've seen it three times, exactly the same way: they go hard for as long as possible until they eventually have a mental breakdown when they slip some crazy deadline they forced on themselves, then FMLA or quit for a significant amount of time. One guy just never came back to work and his LI is totally inactive, no idea what happened to him.

Basically, be a normal person and have hobbies and touch grass sometimes. You're gonna be way better off for it.
Yep--30 year old here who has worked in several different industries. That's the biggest thing: that type of lifestyle is not sustainable and it usually ends up in disaster.

And even worse than that is no one in the office likes you either! lol

Reactions: 3 users
My favorite was the guy who told us all that he got a 40 on his MCAT (this was around 2013), yet got rejected from every state school. He later told us that he had actually gotten a 24.

He was a 4.0, but that was more because of hard work, and less about brains. I actually felt bad for the guy that the pressure had beaten him up so much that he needed to lie.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
This is a message to moderators: I created this account a while ago as part of donating to SDN because they helped me with admissions over the years. I mixed up an old email of mine someone else was able to login in with because they had access (not a hacker, I am related to them and it’s fine), and they posted on here without me being aware.

If you would like, you could remove everything that was posted from this account up to this point. I am definitely NOT affiliated with University of Northwestern Department of Anesthesiology if that is what was implied.

• Haha
This is a message to moderators: I created this account a while ago as part of donating to SDN because they helped me with admissions over the years. I mixed up an old email of mine someone else was able to login in with because they had access (not a hacker, I am related to them and it’s fine), and they posted on here without me being aware.

If you would like, you could remove everything that was posted from this account up to this point. I am definitely NOT affiliated with University of Northwestern Department of Anesthesiology if that is what was implied.
You are welcome to delete as many of your old posts as possible. We generally don't allow posts that were original posts (ie first post in a thread) to be deleted, since that results in the entire thread (and a bunch of other users' posts) being deleted.

Reactions: 1 user

I, too, share an email with a friend (who is real and isn’t me) who also happens to know my SDN login info and sometimes he (not me) will post on here.

The lesson, as always: Never post

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.