This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deleted721365

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you need to move to a state that will license you with 1-2 years of pgy experience and start moonlighting to get income and experience while reapplying. How feasible it really is, I do not know, but I would not be giving up on medicine this far into it. Perhaps reach out to the FM program where you were in Peds residency and the one where you did med school and see if you can build a relationship that would facilitate matching.

Edit: our FM residency currently has a former Peds resident. Though they did not resign necessarily and were without any red flags. But still, you’re not the first.

Reactions: 3 users
Agree with above. Not uncommon for people to come to FM from other specialties due to a change in interests, but your red flags obviously make things a little more difficult. Do you have a chance at some FM residency? Maybe, hard to say. But I'm not sure at this point that you have any other choice but to try to get into one, or else I suppose a more outpatient-oriented peds residency if that's something that exists.

I think your best chance at an FM residency is finding some way to get clinical experience. Whether that's moving to any job you can take with your current credentials, or I have even seen some IMGs work in primary care offices as scribes, "office assistant" type roles, etc. to get US clinical experience before applying to residency. Agree also that your best shot is going to be at programs you have an existing connection to and have left a good impression. In a few months you should also be reaching out to programs with unfilled positions to see if they'd be willing to take you on in any capacity.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both for your replies.

I am in the midst of applying for medical scribe positions as we speak. Most of them aren’t for FM or outpatient IM. But, one is, so fingers crossed there. I’m hoping to get a letter out of it as well (willing to shadow or do whatever in order to accomplish this- would getting a LOR from someone who is outpatient IM suffice or does it have to be someone boarded in FM? Dumb question?).

Just to clarify: neither my med school or peds program have a FM residency attached to them. I’m also in a completed different state at this time.

To be blunt my financial status is extremely tenuous as it is. Currently it would not be financially possible to move myself or my family out of state with the hopes of being granted a license. While my current state does allow a license after pgy1 they have a rather large section for the residency PD to fill out and I am 100% certain my old one would not recommend me for a license (combined with every job I saw wouldn’t take someone who wasn’t BC/ BE: I figured why roll the dice and possibly get my license denied; thus, having to report that for life).

Truly appreciate the input so far.
Its a tough situation, but its in your interest to try to apply for a license somewhere. I would try for a state that is part of the IMLC, many options will open up to you. A lot of places will require BE/BC, but some do not. If your PD will be this vindictive, you are in a tough spot pretty much everywhere, because all states will require a letter from your PD verifying training or asking about concerns. Any chance PD will be replaced or retire soon?

I agree though, you should apply for FM or other programs (be sure to look at brand new programs). You have to try, you have not exhausted all your options, and you really need to before throwing in the towel given how far you've gone. The second you get a medical license and a job, things will be completely different for you, and you can put a lot of this behind you (there are other people that have been in this situation).

Thank you both for your replies.

I am in the midst of applying for medical scribe positions as we speak. Most of them aren’t for FM or outpatient IM. But, one is, so fingers crossed there. I’m hoping to get a letter out of it as well (willing to shadow or do whatever in order to accomplish this- would getting a LOR from someone who is outpatient IM suffice or does it have to be someone boarded in FM? Dumb question?).

Just to clarify: neither my med school or peds program have a FM residency attached to them. I’m also in a completed different state at this time.

To be blunt my financial status is extremely tenuous as it is. Currently it would not be financially possible to move myself or my family out of state with the hopes of being granted a license. While my current state does allow a license after pgy1 they have a rather large section for the residency PD to fill out and I am 100% certain my old one would not recommend me for a license (combined with every job I saw wouldn’t take someone who wasn’t BC/ BE: I figured why roll the dice and possibly get my license denied; thus, having to report that for life).

Truly appreciate the input so far.
Every FM residency I am familiar with has required at least one, sometimes two, family medicine letters. I think FM/sports med as you mentioned above would qualify. For the other letters, any specialty is fine, including IM and peds - but you really do have to try to get at least one very good FM letter. Are there any FM programs local to you? Even if your residency and med school don't have programs, are there any connections you can work to FM programs through them (where did you do your med school FM rotation, etc.?) Can you find a program that works for you with regards to location and see if they have some faculty you can ask for advice, shadow, etc.? If you can't find a program with an open spot this cycle I would also recommend going to the AAFP national conference which is normally in Kansas City in August and has a ton of residency programs come and set up booths to talk to prospective applicants. Gives you a chance to put your name and face out there, get a sense of whether certain programs would be willing to even consider you, etc.

Being realistic, I don't think you have a shot with restarting at an FM program based on the info you've given. You have 1 LoR from FM, you essentially were forced out of residency for performance issues, a weak PD LoR that wouldn't support you practicing, and you will be 1+ year out of training by the time you reapply with more red flags on your medical school transcript. That's a lot of red flags. Is it impossible to get another residency? No. But there are way more candidates with a lot less red flags than you applying for spots.

Regarding the LoR question - yes, prefer FM letters. However, if there are very good letters saying why you'd be a fit for FM, this would be okay if non-ideal. The deal breakers for me are the ones from a different specialty with a generic 'would be a good physician in any field they chose.' It tells me that FM is a backup/applying to multiple specialties or your letter writer doesn't know you.

I agree with a lot of the kind advice above - connections are important and may be an avenue for you. I would probably be looking at Assistant Physician (not PA) programs, where you can practice under the supervision of a physician without completing residency. I personally don't have experience with this, but may be worth looking into.

Status
Not open for further replies.