This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blessed.pod

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Initially didn't want to go to crips because it was pretty expensive. I feel like all my interviews went better because they were in person. Still stand by that.

Overall the socials felt like one of the big conferences, just students chasing attendings around all day. Seeing classmates was great, but we made a rule to not talk about interviews.

I think i'm happy with the results of the crip weekend but honestly I would have loved to do this online too and saved an extra 1500 bucks.

Reactions: 1 user
Personally, I thought it was sucha waste of time/money especially because the programs I had interviewed had their pick for incoming residents already. If they already picked their residents, why waste our time? I don't understand this part of the interview.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Personally, I thought it was sucha waste of time/money especially because the programs I had interviewed had their pick for incoming residents already. If they already picked their residents, why waste our time? I don't understand this part of the interview.
Ohhh how so? Were your co-residents or classmates saying that a program verbally told them that they were going to rank them top? sorry to hear this

Because interviews are a formality. Programs technically they aren't allowed to do this either- if you really wanted to you could report them to crip... but from what i can tell everyone does this.

I had a program that offered their students before interviews started. my interview was less than 6 minutes haha

I honestly keep asking myself if these interviews are worth it. Programs have had externs and they have already decided who they want. I don’t think one day interview with programs will suddenly change their mind about who they want to rank. I believe we should do away with interviews since externships are interviews. The programs I hadn’t visited didn’t bother to go more than 10 mins since they already knew who they wanted. Let externships be used as interviews and interviews should be at program sites if possible for those who didn’t extern at those programs.

Reactions: 1 users
I was really turned off by one of my interviews. It was an intense academic interview with only superficial social questions. There was no natural conversation, and they were cold. A social interaction like this under any other circumstances would raise red flags for me. (Narcissism? sociopathy?) Although programs who do this say they are gauging how well we can work under pressure, I disagree. A power dynamic already exists within the attending-resident-student relationship in which residents and students are vulnerable. If you're willing to exploit this vulnerability for an interview, I will gladly choose from the 10 other programs I interviewed with who did not do this. I'm looking for mentors who are honest and straightforward. Do want to spend 3 years tiptoeing around your theatrics, or do I want to receive constructive feedback and gain lifelong mentor? Easy choice.

Reactions: 4 users
I was really turned off by one of my interviews. It was an intense academic interview with only superficial social questions. There was no natural conversation, and they were cold. A social interaction like this under any other circumstances would raise red flags for me. (Narcissism? sociopathy?) Although programs who do this say they are gauging how well we can work under pressure, I disagree. A power dynamic already exists within the attending-resident-student relationship in which residents and students are vulnerable. If you're willing to exploit this vulnerability for an interview, I will gladly choose from the 10 other programs I interviewed with who did not do this. I'm looking for mentors who are honest and straightforward. Do want to spend 3 years tiptoeing around your theatrics, or do I want to receive constructive feedback and gain lifelong mentor? Easy choice.
Good on you for recognizing that.

Some students thrive on it and take it as a badge of honor when they match there. No idea what program you're talking about but they exist.