This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LoveAndSqualor

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
1. I’m considering both STRAP and FAP. Are there generally openings for neurology residents in these programs?

Do you want active duty or reserves? You should figure that out.

For STRAP you need a critical wartime specialty. I do not believe neurology is on there, but I’m also not currently looking at an updated list. Check one out. I do not know about FAP.

2. I’d like to do fellowship at some point, ideally immediately after residency but I’m flexible on that. Would I be able to complete fellowship immediately after residency if I’m in STRAP and/or FAP? Would the service obligation begin after fellowship?

If you get a fellowship deferral approved then yes.

3. If I want to do fellowship, would it be better/more practical if I pursued that first and then joined directly as an attending after (ie forgo STRAP/FAP)?

Again, do you want AD or reserves? Do you want money now or in the future? I’d personally recommend waiting, but I don’t know enough about your situation to really give an opinion.

4. If I participated in STRAP during residency but decided I wanted to do active duty after I finish, would it be possible to choose to go active duty from reserves?

Not very likely. It is technically possible, but very difficult and dependent on a lot of factors not in your control. If you want AD you are better joining in the beginning.

5. Any details on when I should get in contact with a recruiter if I decide to participate in STRAP or FAP starting in PGY1?

It can take 6+ months to complete and process an application.