This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deleted859689

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m in the same boat. Spent all day trying to find out if not reporting has any consequences. I’ve found some old posts saying people successfully only reported comlex, but nothing recent. The 2023 ERAS guide page 25 says “all applicants are advised to fully disclose results of all medical licensure examinations taken”. Since you mentioned you aren’t planning on reporting, just curious if you were you able to find some definitive info on whether that’s ok?

If it helps, on the ERAS app if you’re a DO student your USMLE number is optional but your NBOME number is required.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you hunt back far enough, ERAS used to have a requirement that DO's report USMLE if taken. It was removed many years ago, and now it's just recommended as above. There is no requirement to submit your USMLE transcript.

If someone asks you about it in an interview, then you should answer honestly. Honestly, I think that's incredibly unlikely to happen.

Unclear what VCU's policy is. On their website, it states that you must have USMLE 1 & 2 to be considered for an interview. Then later down, it states that COMLEX is OK. Even if it's "OK", unclear if they will prefer candidates with USMLE scores. There's no way to really know. You can try contacting them but the likely non-answer is "all applications are reviewed holistically".

But also regarding VCU, it's probably moot. If they don't take COMLEX alone, they probably won't interview you with a failed S1 either.

Looking at the IM spreadsheet for last year, there was only a single entry for a DO with COMLEX only (560/610). They had 25 interviews from 79 applications. No mention of where, or what types of programs.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
If it helps, on the ERAS app if you’re a DO student your USMLE number is optional but your NBOME number is required.
I just posted on another thread about this. You can withhold releasing USMLE as a DO applicant, but the PD will see something to the effect of "result not released" if you took it vs something like "not applicable" if you didn't take it, so they will assume you failed it anyway. Since everything went P/F this year, we are unsure exactly how it will be shown, but that is likely very similar to the wording they will get and will be consistent with what has been done in the past.

I just posted on another thread about this. You can withhold releasing USMLE as a DO applicant, but the PD will see something to the effect of "result not released" if you took it vs something like "not applicable" if you didn't take it, so they will assume you failed it anyway. Since everything went P/F this year, we are unsure exactly how it will be shown, but that is likely very similar to the wording they will get and will be consistent with what has been done in the past.
This is not correct. If a DO does not release USMLE in ERAS, it looks exactly the same as if they didn't take it at all.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
It will come down to your rotations and what you get on level 2. You'll also have to see what the PD at that institution thinks of COMLEX only applicants and their target level 2 for interview. Your research and other stuff is superfluous. You already sank the great equalizer that is step. I would forget retaking it

You don't need to report step failure scores if you are a DO student and pass level 1/2. You must report level 1/2 if you are a DO.

Status
Not open for further replies.