This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

imnotsadimtired

Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Take out Oakland, UNC and VCU.

You can add Iowa, UVA, Ohio State, Cincinnati and USF instead

Reactions: 1 user
You have a whole lot of tutoring/teaching, which is an overrepresented activity among prehealth students. Do you have other examples of non-clinical community service that allowed you to stretch beyond your comfort zone?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Most of my community experience was during my congressional internship (it was local, I was spending most my days going to non-profits/community events), but otherwise I haven't done much volunteering that was non-clinical
Lol an "overrepresented activity among prehealth students" is not a thing, who cares. It's not about what the label anyway, it's about your reflection and how you're able to talk/write about it anyway. Plus, I think other parts of your application make you stand out already anyway, so no need to stress on not having incredibly unique non-clinical volunteering.

Also, I agree with the USF, Iowa, Cincinnati, Ohio State comment. You never know which school you'll get interviewed at but I would put my money on those 4 over VCU, UNC, or Oakland on paper at least. Obviously, your school list has a lot of top schools, but you have a good app and you're applying to a lot, so I would put my money on you getting in

Reactions: 2 users
Lol an "overrepresented activity among prehealth students" is not a thing, who cares. It's not about what the label anyway, it's about your reflection and how you're able to talk/write about it anyway. Plus, I think other parts of your application make you stand out already anyway, so no need to stress on not having incredibly unique non-clinical volunteering.
While I understand my colleague does disagree, I make it a point that to stand out, you need to know what everyone else is doing, and tutoring comes up almost always. But I do agree the reflection piece is important and will help you stand out.

Just keep in mind we acknowledge the thousands of applicants who tutor or mentor underprivileged students in school or among their peers... it is honorable work. But adcom faculty tend to gloss over those activities unless it is more immersing like really being a part-time substitute at an underresourced school, or full-time as Teach for America/City Year.

I'm just trying to see if there are other ways the applicant could stand out in that category. The application seems really good otherwise with the limited information we have here.

Also to the OP, have you contacted the Medical Student Pride Alliance or GLMA?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I think it also depends on the overall narrative of your application. If you have a strong focus on teaching/tutoring/mentoring in general, then it's a more meaningful activity. Especially if it's with underserved populations you specifically relate to, like a latino applicant working with low-income latino students.

Makes it much less cookie cutter and much more "immersing" as @Mr.Smile12 said.

On the other hand, if it's the only teaching/tutoring/mentoring activity, or the only non-clinical volunteering, or doesn't relate to your narrative at all, it's very cookie-cutter.
Yes, it's cookie cutter but that's not necessarily a dealbreaker if he could stir up a half-decent story description with it. I was worse in virtually every category as an applicant than OP, some in a pretty drastic fashion, but got into 1 or possibly 2 schools on their list. I think if he just focuses on continuing the stuff he's done now and writing a solid application, he can get into a top school. If he wants to add another non-clinical volunteering experience at this point, he could go ahead, but if he's planning to apply this upcoming cycle, his best bet is to just make as perfectly written of an application as possible. If he does that, and based on what's apparent on paper, he's an excellent applicant that should get love at top schools.

Reactions: 2 users
In the mentoring/tutor role I also did a lot of other stuff. For instance, we hosted a summer program for the students and took them to the air and space museum, local colleges, had science activities and such. I think I will try to discuss that aspect of it as well. Also work on finding an org (perhaps MSPA) to get involved with
They have only been around a few years, and they have been building some resources and connections for LGBTQ+ applicants. I'm sure they would enjoy more help, as would we. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.