This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Member 8095721

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
There is a lot of variance to this depending on who you ask, and the #1 factor is location. There is also variation in training at some of these which you may or may not want. This includes dedicated peds neuro training, head/neck, functional/advanced imaging, spine procedures, etc. Pick a place that will give you what you're aiming for. For example, doing a ton of procedures or super advanced cutting edge fmri/asl etc is pointless if your goal is 100% telerad nights.

Following are some programs I have heard through the grapevine from faculty, former fellows and co-residents which have excellent reputations, in no specific order or ranking. Grouped by region because this probably is the main differentiator.

East - MGH, Brigham, UPenn, Hopkins, NYU
Midwest - Northwestern, Michigan, Wisconsin
South - Emory, Duke
West - UCSF, Stanford, UCLA, Washington, Utah, Barrow

I'm probably forgetting some. But geography matters a lot, a solid fellow from say UNC or Wake Forest probably gets better job offers in the southeast than a guy from UCLA due to local connections. Competition probably varies a lot by city, some places like UCLA, Northwestern, NYU are very competitive due to being great programs in desirable locations. Places like Mayo in Rochester are probably great training but not everywhere will apply to such locations.

If you have questions on specific programs please post or DM.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Don't really see the point in doing a 2 year fellowship (eg: MGH/UCSF/Stanford) if you're leaning towards private practice. You're giving up a year's worth of attending salary+benefits.

Last edited:
For 1 year I think all would be fine. Maybe broadly pick east/west coast.

From what I've heard, Brigham and Northwestern are extremely well rounded and busy programs with great reputations and good exposure to all the high level subspecialty neuro areas (head/neck, peds, neuro-IR, advanced imaging). Hopkins and Penn probably the best names of the 1 year programs if you want an academic career. Penn had a reputation for malignancy in the past but unsure if this is still true, but their peds and head/neck training is top notch. Cornell and probably on par with NYU as the best NYC programs. Utah has the statdx team and had a strong reputation with some influential faculty in the past and I assume is still quite good. Yale I don't know much about, but I'm sure it's fine.

Pick your priorities. Some programs don't have much head/neck, some programs have weak peds exposure, some do very little procedures, some are lower volume. At this point in life it's more about what you want to get out of it, because you will have plenty of volume and complexity at all these places. In the modern day these are all large hospital systems with big catchment areas and pathology, gone are the days when only 3-4 hospitals in the world ran the show.

Reactions: 1 user