This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reapp3

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do not apply to both UCD and UCR, they prefer applicants from their respective areas. So you would not be a good candidate for the other unless you attended that school in undergrad.

Case, Duke, Emory and UCSF are likely donations. If you interviewed previously at one of those, you can try that again. One of them may have been interested in your extensive research experience. You don't really need additional research.

Consider also applying to Albany, NYMC, Quinnipiac, Creighton, Saint Louis, Loyola, Penn State, TCU, and Oakland Beaumont. Rush might be good too if you are still gaining non-clinical volunteering right now. That is more important at the schools you are competitive at with your stats.

For DO, you are competitive for all of them. Here are some suggestions:
Touro CA
TUNCOM
Western
DMU
Marian
PCOM
LECOM
NYITCOM
KCOM
ATSU-SOMA
AZCOM (watch the tution)

Members don't see this ad :)
If you applied previously, it would help to know where you had invitations and the results. Did you skip the 2022 cycle?

Sure, 2021 was very competitive but most schools went with virtual interviews and interviewed many more people. That said, it still seems a little disappointing that you didn't really capture more II's. I suspect the clinical experience (based on what you have disclosed) may not have shown a comprehensive view of the different cultures and environments in hospital-based medicine. Your public health student org activities need a clearer description in order to convince me all of those hours count as clinical experience as opposed to some leadership/club involvement. If you really have to make me guess the proportion of hours you were involved with leadership versus patient-facing experience, I'm going to bias towards "leadership" (i.e., administrative duties) without a description (here).

You also have a fair amount of research, but I'm not sure how many of the research schools you got a shot with. You said you interviewed at one top school... in your feedback, what did they see was a good fit with their school? All of the suggestions to improve notwithstanding, what have you done to better show yourself a fit with that school (and the other where you interviewed) based on the interview you got from them?

Reactions: 1 user
For sake of anonymity, I didn't go into my app details too much. In terms of clinical experience, my public health org and community health orgs involved health fairs every other week. Yes, it also included things like planning said trips and administrative duties, but I thought my hospital volunteering would've covered enough - I rotated through quite a few floors over 3 years. I do speak clearly of my motivations for medicine, focusing on patient experiences and more human aspects in my personal statement.

I did skip the 2022 cycle as I was waiting on a waitlist and also didn't think my app differed very much to go right into re-applying. The top school seemed to resonate with both my global health work and research, as well as my focus on Spanish in my undergrad courses/orgs.

I've had some health issues that prevented me from being mobile for much of 2021, but I continued doing research since my last application. I'll also be starting up volunteering w/ hospice (which was not running until Jan this year in my area).

Re: non-trad, from admissions I've spoken with they've considered me as such since I'm >4 years out.

Edit: I'll say that none of those I've spoken with who had access to my application brought up a lack in clinical experience as a concern. I realize it's difficult to know on forums if you don't have specific details of what I've done and how I wrote about my experiences, but I don't believe that was an issue.
Thanks. We understand it is your choice to provide details but you should understand the less of the full picture we have, the less we can emulate how admissions committees react. So that said, I'm not sure if it is the amount of experience that could be the issue, but that depends on how well you described the quality and impact of the experience clearly to them. It may not be a concern at all, but did they suggest anything that made your application less than desirable?

Your low non-clinical hours hamper your application, as it is research oriented yet the schools who are powerhouses at that have much higher median MCAT. You may also add Hackensack, and Dartmouth has been known to prefer non-traditional students. Though many of them may have been career changers.

Ohio State and Cincinnati are usually much more competitive for OOS students. A 512 MCAT likely rules them out.