MD .

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deleted1130291

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is your state of residence? A bit difficult to decipher from your school list

You have many state public schools on your list that admit few non residents with a MCAT of 510 and no connection to the state.
I suggest these schools from your list:
University of Michigan Medical school
Western Michigan Univeristy Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Tufts University of Medicine
Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University
Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine & Science
Georgetown University School of Medicine
George Washinton University School of Medicine and Health Sciences
New York Medical College
Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University
Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine
Wayne State University School of Medicine
Eastern Virginia Medical School
Indiana University School of Medicine
Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine
Robert Larner, M.D., College of Medicine at the University of Vermont
Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine
Drexel University College of Medicine
Albany Medical College
Medical College of Wisconsin
Rush Medical College of Rush University Medical Center
The University of Toledo College of Medicine and Life Sciences
Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine
Michigan State University College of Human Medicine
You could add any of these schools:
St. Louis
Creighton
TCU-UNT
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
Seton Hall
Quinnipiac

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
University of Michigan Medical school
Western Michigan Univeristy Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine
Tufts University of Medicine
Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University
Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine & Science
Georgetown University School of Medicine
George Washinton University School of Medicine and Health Sciences
New York Medical College
Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University
Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine
Wayne State University School of Medicine
Eastern Virginia Medical School
Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine
Robert Larner, M.D., College of Medicine at the University of Vermont
Drexel University College of Medicine
Albany Medical College
Medical College of Wisconsin
The University of Toledo College of Medicine and Life Sciences (maybe)
Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine
Michigan State University College of Human Medicine
Central Michigan University College of Medicine
A lot of donations on the list.

I culled it down to something more reasonable.
ADD:
Seton Hall
TCU
NovaMD
Netter

And with a 10th %ile CARS score, with a 510 on the MCAT, you need to have DO schools on your list, Beggars can't be choosy.

Thank you for helping! Also unsure if this is bad on my part but I still want to strictly apply to MD schools. I know with the CARS score, things could be tricky. Worst comes to worst I reapply next cycle and retake MCAT.
RE: the bolded: As I pointed out, beggars can't be choosy.

If you're gunning for the MD, I suggest a retake of the mCAT

You pulled your description of activities before I could read your post in depth, so you'll need to do your own homework on your fit with the schools, especially with community service where you are not teaching/tutoring, highlighting substantive time where you stretched yourself significantly beyond your comfort zone. The last part and significant number of hours matter to the service-oriented schools you think you have a shot at. If you really are wanting to apply only to MD schools, you can roll the dice but many people before you with that mindset come back realizing they have to apply again, retake the MCAT, spend more money, and add DO schools. So unless you have done your homework connecting with students at the schools that you really want to go to, you risk being a reapplicant already.

What do you mean by stretch activities?
Stretch beyond your comfort zone. If you have a sibling who is autistic, you likely are familiar with some of the things you are doing in that clinic, so many can argue it's not a stretch activity (e.g., how about people with different chronic disabilities that are not related to the spectrum or neurodiversity? Say multiple sclerosis or lupus?).

And also... how about non-clinically-related community service? Soup kitchens, safety shelters for domestic abuse or housing insecure/homeless, home repair or building for homeless or those recovering from crisis?

Last edited:
Well other than the autism place for kids, I haven’t done any other non clinical volunteering. This is the only type of thing that can I do outside work and school. So if this isn’t a stretch activity, would this activity be deemed of less value or not as impactful?
The interpretation will depend on the faculty on each admissions committee, but the issue is whether you have your motivation to become a physician/health care provider grounded in the right place. Many people decide to go into healthcare because of something medical that happened to the applicant, the applicant's family, or a close beloved friend. This can bring a very narrow perspective of medical training and the whole complexity of healthcare needs. You are not going to be trained just in neurodiversity throughout your whole 4 years of medical school. Can you handle the other stuff you have to learn that you may have no other vested interest in? You can say you are ready, but we need to be shown you are ready through your activities and reflections upon them.

By not doing any other non-clinical community service, many faculty have (successfully) raised doubts on whether the applicant really is oriented towards service to others (which is an important "competency" for most schools that I have talked with). That's at least why I ask... because it will be searched for in many application screens.

Thank you for the explanation. Obviously the non clinical volunteering has been a sort of weakness in the app that needs to be a addressed. But I was wondering if me working as an aide in the ER potentially cover the issue of me interacting with people who aren’t just neuro divergent. Not that I’ve had to treat the people but to have encountered an helped those suffering addiction to people who’ve had a miscarriage.

Not sure if this is appropriate to ask but do you think I have a weak application?
I think being an ER aide helps your CLINICAL experience diversity, but does not address community service/service to others competency.

I don't represent all admissions committees or screeners and I'm not looking at how you will fill out your AMCAS application, so you should ask admissions deans/directors about your concerns about this before you apply. Only they know how file deliberations go and how applicants are screened for community service. Every school will weigh it according to their own mission and experiences with applicants from previous cycles. However, I think that since "service orientation" is the first listed competency for entering medical students, you need to figure out whether you have demonstrated this enough in what you have so far.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.