--

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

backgroundnofound

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
==

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Retake the MCAT? For what? 515 is a great score. The only thing that may be concerning is your GPA

Reactions: 1 user
Unless your practice exams are 528s, I would nix a retake. Do you have an upward trend on your GPAs?

Members don't see this ad :)
How many classes would you think about taking, and have you calculated what your GPAs would be with As? I don't see the benefits of taking one or two classes over the summer since it won't move your GPAs up that much. It might end up hurting you if you don't gets As.

Continue to get your hours in clinical, non-clinical volunteer hours, work on your PS, and practice practice practice your interviewing skills.

GPA:

• [Cumulative] 3.5 cGPA/3.3 sGPA

MCAT: 515

State of residence: California

Ethnicity and/or race: ORM

Undergraduate institution or category: private

First-gen?: Yes

Clinical experience:

• 800+ hours clinical volunteer
Research experience:

• Clinical:not much ~500 hr? Not much. 1 abstract and 1 case report (2nd auth).

Shadowing experience: 50+ few different specialties

Other extracurricular activities: nothing outstanding. ~300 hr volunteer serving underserved

Schools: any MD schools except carribean

I know that my stats are not great at all, but I want to know what I should work on before I apply upcoming cycle. I know that I need to retake MCAT but I want to know what I should work on for next few months! thank you. :)
Definitely apply DO as well. I have higher MCAT and GPA than you and I’ve only been accepted to DO schools even though I applied to 40 MD as well.

1. What is your post baccGPA? How many hours did you take?
2. Is the post bacc GPA calculated into your uGPA?
3. What are your 800 clinical hours? What did you do for those 800 hours?
4.What are you doing in those 300 hours of nonclinical volunteering?
5. Do not retake the MCAT. Frankly it’s the strongest stat you have.
6. Any primary care shadowing?

It’s very hard to tell you specific things to do to because you only shared hours and not activities. You might be fine but we don’t know. You will need DO schools on your list because your GPAs are below average, especially the sGPA. But if you absolutely are against DO don’t apply. Don’t waste your time and money and the DO schools time and resources.

Reactions: 1 users
When are you applying? The courses you are taking in the summer won’t be included in your GPA unless you wait to submit your application.
I’m not sure your work doing insurance etc with people through Americorps or whatever it is is really clinical. But you have 200 hours of hospital volunteering under nonclinical. What’s that all about? Teaching is a sep category.
Americorps and like opportunities are usually looked upon favorably by ADCOMS. Maybe that insurance work could be non clinical volunteering unless you are be paid. Do you get paid or do you get a small stipend?
I don’t do school lists but you could try the service oriented schools, Jesuit schools and your state schools. But understand the average GPA for matriculated students is about 3.7x and sGPA is 3.6x. You are well below both. At some point you might have to decide if you want to be a doc at all costs and then you’ll apply to DO schools.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.