MD .

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

laserz

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I mean, there are literally essay spaces for applicants with IAs to talk about their IAs. Your IA honestly isn't even that bad - you weren't the one plagiarizing/cheating and to be honest, that's kind of a ****ty thing from your friend to do (we all know many people do the same thing but at least they have the common sense to mix it up a little). Of course, any IA won't necessarily help your chances, but you still have an exceptional application. As long as you show remorse/growth (is it possible to get an LOR from that professor that would show how you've grown?) and apply broadly just to be sure, you should be able to get an acceptance no problem

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean, there are literally essay spaces for applicants with IAs to talk about their IAs. Your IA honestly isn't even that bad - you weren't the one plagiarizing/cheating and to be honest, that's kind of a ****ty thing from your friend to do (we all know many people do the same thing but at least they have the common sense to mix it up a little). Of course, any IA won't necessarily help your chances, but you still have an exceptional application. As long as you show remorse/growth (is it possible to get an LOR from that professor that would show how you've grown?) and apply broadly just to be sure, you should be able to get an acceptance no problem

I could get an LOR from him, the prof actually knows me fairly well. I still think my other LORs are stronger and I’m pretty sure some schools limit you at 6? Correct me if I’m wrong here. I only took classes with this prof, whereas my other letters are from people I took classes with and worked for whether it be TA/research/book/etc so I think they would shine a bit more light on all the positives

I could get an LOR from him, the prof actually knows me fairly well. I still think my other LORs are stronger and I’m pretty sure some schools limit you at 6? Correct me if I’m wrong here. I only took classes with this prof, whereas my other letters are from people I took classes with and worked for whether it be TA/research/book/etc so I think they would shine a bit more light on all the positives
Yeah, I just meant that as a suggestion. It's ultimately up to you - a lot of people who get IAs for academic issues early during college find that a professor talking about growth in an LoR is positive but I just realized that this was a class you took at the end of your studies so that might not be too helpful.

Either way though, I'm pretty sure you have essay opportunities both in AMCAS and in most secondaries and as long as you explain the issue, show remorse/growth, etc. you'll be perfectly fine. Just don't fall into that 3.9/520 trap of applying only low-yield/t20 schools and you should be fine.

I Think @chzsux was suggesting a letter from the professor to attest to the fact that this was out of character and you have grown and moved on from this incident.

I Think @chzsux was suggesting a letter from the professor to attest to the fact that this was out of character and you have grown and moved on from this incident.
Right definitely could see about this, I'm sure he'd be willing to write one, just unsure compared to my other letters how much it would really help my case, especially if I am limited on the total number of letters a school will take.

I suggest these schools with your stats:
Medical College Georgia
Mercer
Emory
Miami
USF Morsani
Duke
U Virginia
Vanderbilt
Washington University
Northwestern
U Michigan