This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

onamission!

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Getting a good consulting gig usually requires some combination of 1) clear expertise in an area usually from years of experience, 2) educational or work pedigree (i.e quite possible to graduate from Harvard Med School and get a consulting firm to hire you), 3) connections, or 4) a strong extraverted personality.

I had some time before residency and was looking at consulting jobs. I applied to McKinsey and Boston Consulting with no luck. I even had a referral from a friend who works for one the companies. I admit that I initially thought it would be an easy job to get because I figured the supply of MDs wanting to be consultants were low and the demand was high, but it seems to be much harder to break into. The MDs that I have heard talk about their experiences were either from top Ivy League type medical schools (it seems these companies recruit from them directly) or had done some sort of consulting before or during medical school. So the bottom line is I don't know but would also be interested in finding out.