This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crsprmd

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Even double majors don't matter. Your minor won't make any difference in your application (it could be a talking point, but it's not going to give you extra points or anything). Do the minor if you want to, but don't waste your time thinking it's for your med school application. That time is much better spent elsewhere, like ECs!

Reactions: 1 users
Take the courses that you feel will give you the knowledge and skills you will need to be successful given your interests. It doesn't matter if you have a major, double major, minor, certificate, etc. It might make a difference in the moment if registration is limited to certain groups of students but it won't matter for med admissions.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you @LizzyM @gyngyn

Two more things:
  1. Do you think it is worth it to pursue those interests in the form of a minor and risk sacrificing a little from my GPA? I am generally a risk-averse person (and I know GPA is king in med admissions), but I also want to take these classes.
  2. If my goal is to show my interest in different aspects of medicine, should I just pick one minor and stick with it, or just take the classes I want to take from each without completing the minor requirements for any? In other words, would med schools pay attention to the specific classes I took as proof of my interests, or would a minor be more convincing?
Thanks!
1) No, GPA is indeed king
2) Your classes are NOT proof of your medical interests. Your entire app is.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you @LizzyM @gyngyn

Two more things:
  1. Do you think it is worth it to pursue those interests in the form of a minor and risk sacrificing a little from my GPA? I am generally a risk-averse person (and I know GPA is king in med admissions), but I also want to take these classes.
  2. If my goal is to show my interest in different aspects of medicine, should I just pick one minor and stick with it, or just take the classes I want to take from each without completing the minor requirements for any? In other words, would med schools pay attention to the specific classes I took as proof of my interests, or would a minor be more convincing?
Thanks!
We expect you to excel in your chosen field of study.
We really don't care about your major, minor or even the classes you took, as long as you have accomplished the above.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users