This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1102296

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
You should do none of those things and enjoy your summer.

Pre-studying for M1 is pointless in general, and pre-studying for Step 1 is even more useless at this time. Especially considering it will be p/f once you take it, so your time will be better spent doing research, making connections, extracurriculars, etc.

If you must focus your attention on something besides video games (which is what I was doing after I quit my jobs before med school), then I’d recommend working out, cooking, and developing a healthy lifestyle in general. I wish I had time to do this right now but it is very difficult as an M2, and it will be for you as well. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I understand. I'm planning on doing ~1 hr a day max just to keep my head in the game. For what it's worth my friends had tons of free time during med school and their schools had had terribly unorganized and time-consuming curriculums. However, they didn't use the resources I mentioned so they can't help me there. My school is known for being SUPER chill with tons of free time so I don't think I'll burn out or anything. Some even say that my SMP is more time consuming than the MD school I'll be attending and I didn't think it was that bad.
Call me old (I kind of am), but I'm not sure that a super chill medical school with tons of free time exists outside of a laboratory. I was a nontraditional student who thought I had my **** together, and my school was not especially malignant; nonetheless, you will be drinking from a firehose. Not that I didn't have free time, but definitely less than undergrad with 10x the volume of information.

If you feel compelled to study, anatomy might be reasonable. I was pretty burned out by the time I got to the feet. Neuroanatomy was very painful for the need to memorize the locations of various structures in the midbrain and pons. I'd review this material with the intent to become familiar with it and not preparing for an exam.

Addendum: I'm impressed that the SDN bot proofreads posts for crude expressions.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Please enjoy your summer and don't pre-study. But if you must pre-study, then I'll second the recommendation to go over anatomy. It will help to be familiar with the structures when you're in the lab.

Maybe something like going through Michigan's BlueLink atlas and using a pre-made Anki deck to follow along. Alternatively, you can go through Netter's atlas.

I'd wait to use Sketchy when you're taking your micro/pharm classes and Costanzo when taking physiology. Boards and Beyond and First Aid are better used when you have already gone through the material once. Use Anking when going through these other resources and not as your primary learning resource.

I understand the frustration. You need structure. I recommend getting through OnlineMedEd for the basic sciences. It’s all free. You can pay if you want flash cards/testbank.

Last edited: