This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pbk123

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Emory pros:
  • Absolutely loved my interview day. The applicants were so outgoing and friendly, not what I expected from a top MD interview. The admin was so warm, and the dean was very serious about their commitment to the underserved.
  • Clinical training at Grady would mean a lot to me.
  • 1.5 year preclinical + 5 month discovery period is the best case scenario for curriculum setup
  • Proximity to CDC means unique public health opportunities.
  • Gorgeous campus/med school building-this is very important to me, as shallow as it is. My surroundings can be a huge motivator for me.
  • Atlanta seems like a great city to explore in my 20s, and moving there would be quite an adventure for me, out of my comfort zone.
  • Cheapest tuition

Emory cons:
  • Distance away from my support system (in NJ/NY/PA)
  • Ability to match competitively on the East Coast-would this be easier at Case than at Emory?
  • Is there a prestige difference btw Case and Emory in terms of their position in academic medicine? Should that matter to me when caring for the underserved is so important to me? I fear not reaching my “potential” in academic medicine if I go for Emory versus Case.
  • Is now the time to take a risk and go somewhere outside of my comfort zone?

Case pros:
  • Loved the quirky and outgoing admin! They clearly care a lot about student recruitment.
  • Brand new building, although aesthetically I prefer Emory’s
  • Hololens seems like a cool way to learn anatomy, but ultimately I'm ambivalent about this/would enjoy cadaver instruction
  • I enjoyed IQ, but overall I’m fairly neutral on method of learning considering I’ll probably be using a lot of outside resources to study.
  • Students seem intelligent and laidback. I could see myself fitting in very easily here.
  • Cleveland Clinic’s and CWRU’s reputation in academic medicine.
  • Have the impression that research opportunities would be bountiful considering they have access to 4 different hospitals.

Case cons:
  • Cleveland. Though I’m sure this makes people more tight-knit?
  • Larger student body-I’m not sure whether this is a good or bad thing.
  • Weather. I am seriously not a fan of the cold. It keeps me indoors, I get seasonal depression every February, I was always sad/stressed for most of spring semester. Ultimately, I’m used to it, it’s a part of my grittiness, and I’ll be studying most of the time anyways.
  • Lack of a social justice mission? Wasn’t heavily emphasized on my interview day. It seemed like there was a huge focus on research and the curriculum. That’s not a bad thing, but my interest in service is a huge part of why I’m doing medicine in the first place.
  • Most expensive tuition

Einstein pros:
  • Where I imagined I would be for a really long time. I love NYC for its diversity and liveliness. My parents are immigrants, and their story took place here!
  • Amazing hospitals and research opportunities/regional reputation
  • Student body seemed laid-back and social, and I can easily see myself fitting in.
  • Student housing (extremely affordable), no need for a car
  • Closest to home and my support system

Einstein cons:
  • Case/Emory v Einstein prestige/reputation difference...but would a regionally great school be better for someone who wants to match in that area anyways?
  • Bronx location/facilities?
  • Disenchantment with city life- I definitely would want to live somewhere with more trees/parks/etc. I might be done with the concrete jungle.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Emory sounds like the place for you. There is no significant prestige difference between Case & Emory so go with the one you like better

Reactions: 2 users
You clearly like Emory the most. There is effectively 0 prestige difference between Case and Emory - both will match you well on the East coast (as will Einstein). Of your three options I would say it sounds like it’s between Emory and Einstein, as Case’s tuition is the highest. It might be nice to go somewhere different for medical school, but having a support system nearby is also an advantage.

Your summary is one of the more complete and thoughtful pro/con summaries I've seen. It seems you've thought about this a lot. Aside from the family ties and aging parent concern, it seems Emory is the best fit for you. You could match back to your home area from Emory if that helps with the decision. You've got fantastic options.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took some time to read your goals in greater detail. I empathize with the staying near family vs. getting the best opportunity scenario. I went through it during medical school selection and am going through it now as I wait for match day.

That being said Atlanta's airport is extremely convenient for flights back to NJ/NY. If you count Newark/Laguardia/JFK, there are about 30+ flights daily from morning to evening, and relatively cheap. And the flight is only about 2 hours. So though the distance may be far, you could easily fly back home even if for just a weekend.

With regards to working with socioeconomic/racially diverse populations, Emory has Grady hospital - the social safety net hospital. On top of that the trauma experience here is balls to the wall crazy. If you're from New York, Grady would compare to Bellevue. Einstein also serves a diverse population.

With regards to working in humanities, population health - Emory has dual degree programs in public health and bioethics. Is there a specific specialty you're interested in? If it's surgery by any chance, pick Emory and don't even think twice about it.

Ultimately, I don't think you're limiting yourself in any meaningful way by picking Einstein over Emory or vice versa - they are both great. It just sounds like Emory is a better fit for what you want.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Also going to say based on your preferences that Emory sounds like the winner here. Will also echo that it’s nice to have a well thought out consideration of your options.

Reactions: 1 users
Tough decision. All are fantastic schools. There is no effective prestige difference between them; they are all top institutions with national reputations in academic medicine. Statistically, Einstein and Case grads do stronger than Emory, but this will not affect your individual success (Table 3; https://journals.lww.com/academicme...a_Top_Research_Medical_School__A_Call.20.aspx).

All institutions will offer unique, incredible opportunities you won’t find at the others, but all will facilitate your training and growth in the field equally.

Go to all 3 revisits (especially with most of them being virtual). Try to get a feel for each school’s environment and culture outside of the normal spiel on interview day (i.e., how it would actually feel to interact with these people and be in these halls every day for four years). It seems you’ve already had some strong first impressions and done some reflection that favors Emory, but I already see that some factors are shared with Einstein (i.e., I believe they are switching to a 1.5 year preclinical; you should ask a student there to confirm).

My inclination is to echo others' sentiments and vote Emory, but it’s by a thin margin. You honestly can’t make a bad choice here, regardless – congratulations :)

Last edited:
Tough decision. All are fantastic schools. There is no effective prestige difference between them; they are all top institutions with national reputations in academic medicine. Statistically, Einstein and Case grads do stronger than Emory, but this will not affect your individual success (Table 3; https://journals.lww.com/academicme...a_Top_Research_Medical_School__A_Call.20.aspx).

All institutions will offer unique, incredible opportunities you won’t find at the others, but all will facilitate your training and growth in the field equally.

Go to all 3 revisits (especially with most of them being virtual). Try to get a feel for each school’s environment and culture outside of the normal spiel on interview day (i.e., how it would actually feel to interact with these people and be in these halls every day for four years). It seems you’ve already had some strong first impressions and done some reflection that favors Emory, but I already see that some factors are shared with Einstein (i.e., I believe they are switching to a 1.5 year preclinical; you should ask a student there to confirm).

My inclination is to echo others' sentiments and vote Emory, but it’s by a thin margin. You honestly can’t make a bad choice here, regardless – congratulations :)
It seems like everyone uses a different ranking system as “gospel.” How would you describe the value of the one you cited? I’m still struggling with this decision, so thank you for your in depth response ☺️

Einstein is immediately out because the gap between AE and Emory/CWRU is very large, especially with you wanting academia. "Regional bias" is irrelevant here, prestige trumps that. I just matched at a top tier IM program in NYC and I'm currently at a med school similar in prestige to CWRU/Emory and chose that over a much less prestigious NE school, I truly don't think I would've had the success I had if I went to the lower ranked school. You can be an average student at CWRU/Emory and still match very well whereas you'd have to stand out more at Einstein, especially for the most competitive specialties and programs. Your job in med school is primarily to set yourself up to get the best possible residency for you.

Emory and CWRU are essentially equal, so it sounds like Emory is the better fit for you. Cheaper, more aligned with your career interests and the opportunities Emory has. I would also argue that moving to a new city and far away from your family/friends is an extremely valuable opportunity to become more independent, make you more mature and grow in having to 'start over' and make you a stronger individual. Atlanta certainly beats Cleveland and you will have plenty of time to live life and take advantage of all that Atlanta offers.
Not that I necessarily completely disagree with you, but it’s a bit funny you chose top tier IM in NYC as the barometer, because this year’s Einstein match list has 15 top tier NYC IM matches. So clearly they have no problem there and regional “bias” may play a role.

Einstein is immediately out because the gap between AE and Emory/CWRU is very large, especially with you wanting academia. "Regional bias" is irrelevant here, prestige trumps that. I just matched at a top tier IM program in NYC and I'm currently at a med school similar in prestige to CWRU/Emory and chose that over a much less prestigious NE school, I truly don't think I would've had the success I had if I went to the lower ranked school. You can be an average student at CWRU/Emory and still match very well whereas you'd have to stand out more at Einstein, especially for the most competitive specialties and programs. Your job in med school is primarily to set yourself up to get the best possible residency for you.

Emory and CWRU are essentially equal, so it sounds like Emory is the better fit for you. Cheaper, more aligned with your career interests and the opportunities Emory has. I would also argue that moving to a new city and far away from your family/friends is an extremely valuable opportunity to become more independent, make you more mature and grow in having to 'start over' and make you a stronger individual. Atlanta certainly beats Cleveland and you will have plenty of time to live life and take advantage of all that Atlanta offers.
I really love when people confidently give advice while having little idea what they are actually talking about. Your experience is n=1, and it is based on assumptions that you made about your success that may be totally off-base. If you would like to pm me your board scores, class quartile, AOA status, research, etc. – as well as the program you matched – we can have a more candid discussion on whether your school gave you a significant boost, or whether (likely) your perception of your candidacy (or how competitive your program is) are undervalued/mismatched.

Anecdote won’t land you in journals for a reason. I prefer to go with numbers.

• - -

I said that there is little effective difference in “prestige” between these institutions, and it was for a reason. While it is due in small part to the hear-say of “ ’x’ program is top tier” from career-progressed physician scientists (which applies to all 3), it is in much larger part because of class outcomes. After all, as a much wiser physician has said: “prestige is fairy dust; sprinkle some, and you’ll look like magic to one person, and an idiot covered in dirt to another.”

Case, Einstein and Emory have large classes, matching a large number of students into specialties in academic medicine. You mentioned IM, and I think it’s a solid specialty to focus on for the best, semi-objective method of evaluating academic-based match list outcomes (I won’t go into detail here as to why this is so, as I have already written elsewhere. To condense: specialty interests vary annually with the job market and student proclivities, and regionally with school mission/culture. All of these introduce too many confounding variables to evaluate the specialties matching only a few students every year. IM, in contrast, consistently accrues the largest number of graduating students, with wide variances in competition between programs; less variables, bigger “n”).

Let’s evaluate class outcomes. Using the IM boards to gauge “program desirability,” and NIH funding by department to medical schools for “research strength” (Blue Ridge Institute for Medical Research), we can define the general “top” academic research residencies. Then, we can take both the # and % of students matching into said residencies over a 4-5 year average to find a general idea for a school’s success in matching students to top research residencies.

Result: Emory, Einstein, and Case all similarly match 28-48 students every year to IM programs. ~52% of IM matches for Emory students are top 15 research-based programs. Case is at ~60%, and Einstein at ~52%. Not much difference, if at all.

But these are only match results, right? It might be the only thing that M4’s neurotically obsess over, but if you know anything about academic medicine, your long-term career success is defined by “publish, or perish” (extrapolated – your success is determined by the productivity of your career, including your manuscripts; the grants you receive; the awards you attract; the clinical trials you conduct).

But these are much more convoluted measures to evaluate, with difficult-to-track records that would take an eon to sort through and analyze… which is why I’m so glad that several prominent physician-scientists teamed up with Doximity to do it for me, and published it in the AAMC official journal (https://journals.lww.com/academicme...a_Top_Research_Medical_School__A_Call.20.aspx).

In a gargantuan analysis that looked at all of the awards, grants, publications, and clinical trials that 600,000+ medical graduates produced from over 120 medical schools across the past 60 years, Einstein came out as #13 in graduate success, followed by Case as #15, and Emory somewhere outside the top 25.

What about research funding? Averaging the rankings of NIH funding for these three schools over the past 20 years has NIH funding for Case at #25; Einstein at #28; Emory at #18. But Emory has more PI’s than either Case or Einstein that is disproportional to the difference in funding, so the funding/investigator is greater at Case and Einstein than at Emory.

All of this to say: I believe, honestly, it is a fool’s errand to try and pick-and-parcel between these three schools. Goro likes to group med schools in “classes” in terms of their reputation and research output, which I think is the best approach (and, coincidentally, he labels the “research powerhouse” class as “Einstein/Emory").

• - -

To focus back on things that actually matter: I repeat, for effect - your class's success will not define your success. I provided this data because I like both meta-analyses, and giving advice that is as accurate as possible. But the truth is that none of these factors account for any of the intrinsic values selected for at “top” schools (i.e., academic giftedness, perseverance/grit, sociability, organizational skills, both short- and long-term planning, etc.) that actually correlate with student success in academics. Top schools generally attract top talent that make the schools look better with their success, which in turn provides a halo effect back to new students, but this halo effect is nominal. There are some institutions that will limit your success, but even those aren’t dealbreakers with enough qualities mentioned above. None of those schools are part of your options, regardless.

You will do fine wherever you choose to go. But you will do excellent if you find your core passions outside of your peers' opinions, and have them fuel you through the slog and strife that medical school, and beyond, brings. Consider the opinions and feedback of people who you respect, and gently nod, smile absently, and filter-out the opinions of those who clout-chase throughout your academic career; it'll save you a lot of trouble (and sanity).

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Jesus christ what a cringe post and I dont think anyone is surprised a lab rat posted it. I'm just going to assume you're a troll (and good effort!) but I really hope you don't act like this in real life. I forget this is what happens when I venture out of the Lounge. Ignored....
Gotta love when they regress to their high-school personas. He can't argue against my points, so he throws some dumb insults and runs away with his tail between his legs.

anyway, my points have been made. Feel free to pm if you need help with anything, OP. always happy to be a resource on the site.

This is quickly getting derailed. I’ll wrap up the relevant parts.
My experience is based off of residents, fellows and attendings ranging up to department chairs but yes you're totally right, i'm just talking out of my ass.
I don't care where OP goes or what other people recommend, I'm just giving my own advice and it's a waste of time to argue so much over something so subjective.
If you base your judgement off of what others in the field tell you - yes, any discussion about medical school “prestige” become bickering contests akin to inter-faith dialogue. I addressed this at the beginning of my post.

You gave the opinion of your “residents, fellows, attendings” etc as advice. I could have easily responded with “no, wait, that’s not what the people I know tell me,” and given the opinions of colleagues and mentors in my life as well, which include both a previous IM program director at MGH that was an Einstein alum, as well as a director for an NIH Institute.

But none of these actually matter. I mentioned that note about anecdotes not to target anyone’s experiences, but to show that pitting my hear-say against yours ends us nowhere, and just confuses pre-meds looking for guidance.

Evaluating class outcomes as a whole is a more tedious, but way more accurate way to give someone advice about how their school choice will affect their experience, and long-term future.

Overall, my experiences have taught me that where you go matters little in comparison to what passions you have that motivate you, and anyone can climb the “academic prestige” ladder at any point from any place if they’re not thinking about the positions they’re seeking, but what they’re hoping to do with those positions once they get there. But that’s just my $0.02. I add the data so you can decide for yourself what’s important to you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Take rankings entirely out of the equation- they truly do not matter nearly as much as folks on SDN seem to think.