This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OrbitNorbit

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I'm going to be applying to EP in the upcoming cycle. Just kind of curious about how difficult/easy it is to get job offers in regions away from where you do your training? Almost every EP from my institution has gone to a full-time role relatively close of the program's location upon graduating. This is a strong academic program and I've been kind of surprised that more people haven't taken opportunities in other regions.

Is this a weird coincidence or should I start thinking about where I'd like to end up long-term when ranking EP programs?

Thanks for the help.
There are so many factors that go into this.
It comes down to two things. 1- what are you looking for in a job? 2- does X, Y, Z region have a job with what you are looking for?
The last part is the name/connections within your training institution. This will help to a certain degree, but if there isn't a job, then there isn't a job.

Not just EP. I think it's pretty common for fellows to stick around, either because that was always their plan or they just got comfortable and found a good job. But local network and connections are certainly a benefit across all specialties, I've seen it time and time again from both the employer and fellows perspective. Now the size of the benefit vs benefit of training program is variable, it really depends. But for something like EP that typically has a tighter job market you may have to apply more broadly and going to a lesser program to try to get a local job may backfire.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm starting EP fellowship in July, and this was definitely something I thought about. Ultimately, there is a lot that is out of your control. In general, EP is a much tighter job market than gen cards and you will have less flexibility on where you get your first job post-fellowship. Most EP positions are not advertised or posted online on job listing websites (especially not for EP positions in major cities or inherently more competitive markets). So, most of these non advertised positions are filled via the network that people build during training. I think this is the reason that most people end up practicing in the city/state/region that they do their fellowship. There are always exceptions, but I would strongly recommend you take location into consideration if location post-fellowship is truly important to you.

Also, for what it's worth. When I was on the interview trail this last season, I made a point of asking the current fellows what their plans were for after fellowship. The vast majority were going into practice in the greater metro area that they trained in.

No clue on EP program quality, but like gen cards, if you want to just be a clinician most programs are probably good enough and the gap in reputation is relatively minor from a hiring standpoint. A programs fit, vibe, curriculum, autonomy, etc. are important factors for trainees too.

Reactions: 1 user
EP is tight knit. First and foremost, you need to have a good program to get your hands on experience. Some of the small “no name” institutions have great training because you aren’t competing with ten other fellows for cases.

Training where you want to live is important in my opinion mainly because of the reps. The reps you work with in fellowship are the ones who work with every other EP in the surrounding region. They know what groups are looking, the groups that are strong and the groups that aren’t so strong.

These same groups are going to turn around and ask the reps about you and your skills. The reps are a huge asset in terms of educational courses and job placement, and I’d argue even more so than the attendings you work with in terms of actually landing a job.

Reactions: 1 users
EP is tight knit. First and foremost, you need to have a good program to get your hands on experience. Some of the small “no name” institutions have great training because you aren’t competing with ten other fellows for cases.

Training where you want to live is important in my opinion mainly because of the reps. The reps you work with in fellowship are the ones who work with every other EP in the surrounding region. They know what groups are looking, the groups that are strong and the groups that aren’t so strong.

These same groups are going to turn around and ask the reps about you and your skills. The reps are a huge asset in terms of educational courses and job placement, and I’d argue even more so than the attendings you work with in terms of actually landing a job.
This is great advice.

I've been reading some older threads on the EP job market and noticed you were a contributor. Was it as tight as some suggest or were there decent opportunities? I'm doing it either way but I was just wondering about the current outlook. Thanks.
My experience was in a tight market. I also feel that it will be a tight market no matter where you are if you are geographically restricted. If you’re open to going anywhere, then you’ll have plenty of options to choose from

Not particularly restricted. Generally I’d like to be Midwest or maybe near the Rockies as I have a lot of family in both regions. I’m definitely ok with smaller cities or suburbs over rural. Want to make sure it isn’t so saturated that it’s impossible to get a job or that my only option is like super remote in a region I dislike.
You’re going to be just fine and will do well

Status
Not open for further replies.