This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1092328

GOODLUCK

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you'll do fine but at this point I would make getting clinical experience and shadowing a priority as it is the weak link in your otherwise strong application. You want to be able to answer "why medicine + PhD not just PhD." Otherwise you should have a shot pretty much everywhere.

Yeah, your clinical experience hours are really low, and I wouldn't really be impressed that you'd understand the challenges of medicine from this description of your experiences. This would deep-six any MD chances... period, so there's no real shot at MD/PhD without it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Stats are great but you need at least 150 hours each of clinical and nonclinical volunteering. Without that, you haven't even checked the box and are at a pretty big disadvantage. I'd hate to see you shut out or just having squandered an excellent chance at a school like Harvard or Yale.

Have a cohesive storyline to your application and all your activities, emphasizing certain themes you want to highlight and communicate to adcoms. Your clinical hours are low and you should be aware that not all programs may like that. However, I can say I applied this cycle (3.97/519, more research hours but less production, meaningful significant leadership activities, ORM) with 100 shadowing hours and 0 other clinical experience and have gotten an acceptance at a T5.

Reactions: 1 user
If you can accumulate 50 hours of physician shadowing and 100+ hours of clinical volunteering before you apply your chances for interview would go up significantly. I suggest these schools with your stats:
Harvard
Yale
Dartmouth
Brown
Mount Sinai
NYU
Cornell
Columbia
Rochester
Pittsburgh
Johns Hopkins
U Penn
U Virginia
Duke
Miami
Emory
Vanderbilt
Baylor
Washington University
Northwestern
U Michigan
Case Western
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Mayo (both schools)
UCSF
UCLA
USC Keck
Stanford

If you can accumulate 50 hours of physician shadowing and 100+ hours of clinical volunteering before you apply your chances for interview would go up significantly. I suggest these schools with your stats:
Harvard
Yale
Dartmouth
Brown
Mount Sinai
NYU
Cornell
Columbia
Rochester
Pittsburgh
Johns Hopkins
U Penn
U Virginia
Duke
Miami
Emory
Vanderbilt
Baylor
Washington University
Northwestern
U Michigan
Case Western
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Mayo (both schools)
UCSF
UCLA
USC Keck
Stanford
why did you not include UChicago in the list?

you have as much research as someone your age can have and enough clinical experience especially for MSTP programs. quality of clinical hours > quantity and as long as you can explain why you specifically want to be a physician-scientist you should be good to go. chose not to apply Md/Phd but I think your success will be based on the strength of your research LORs and how well you interview. if you've been with the same mentor over the years that shouldn't be an issue. you want letters where your PI Is basically like "OP is the best ____ I have ever had and is in the top 1% of all students I have trained. he has demonstrated an ability to not just clean glassware but to independently do blah blah blah. i offer him the highest possible recommendation.",

recommend you aim high and apply to whatever schools you want to. can probably count on one hand how many black applicants there are with your stats applying Md/Phd. but keep in mind there are few spots for these programs so still make sure your school list is not too short because there are still black applicants with similar stats to you who have taken gap years with fulbrights, rhodes, etc. and have published basic science papers (some as first author). get used to seeing the same faces on the interview trail lol.

good luck!

Reactions: 2 users