This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sme611

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
i was on remidiation received 1 unsatisfactory evaluation the rest were satisfactory- now I'm told will be on probation for 6 months and cannot get any unsatisfactory evaluations during it...
I feel this is a very difficult and tight position to be in and the stress doesn't really help. They also said i can self resign prior to the probation so it's not on my records and look for another program. This doesn't sound good but I'm assuming the chace of leaving a residency and looking for an open position is slim?
Very slim. What was the specific issue because the main advice is stop whatever got you on probation

any arguments with people? Anything political? Complaints from nursing/residency staff? Late to anything ever? Any paperwork late ever? Patient complaints? Lying? Etc

Reactions: 1 users
Very slim. What was the specific issue because the main advice is stop whatever got you on probation

any arguments with people? Anything political? Complaints from nursing/residency staff? Late to anything ever? Any paperwork late ever? Patient complaints? Lying? Etc
Haven't been having issues with professionalism

Haven't been having issues with professionalism
It just always seems there is something more than the original posts say, it would be rather odd for a completely satisfactory intern to get a 6 month probation with one struggling rotation unless those struggles were egregious. Do you feel comfortable giving more details?

• Love
I just want to encourage you to be more specific So that the more wise people can help you. You are in a very dangerous place. You need to be above expectations on everything. You shouldn’t be as good as your fellow residents. You need to be better.

Reactions: 2 users
If you want more advice you’re going to need to give us more of a picture of what’s going on. I see that you started another vague thread last January about similar issues... I would take this as a sign that you have not gotten those issues, whatever they may have been, corrected. If you can’t give us more information (which may very well be the case) I’m not sure if there is any further help our forum can be. If you have clinical deficiencies or problems talking to patients for example then perhaps your PD would support you trying to do Pathology or Radiology but I have a feeling this is 99% not going to be the situation.

Seeing as you've provided no details, you cannot expect more than just general advice. That said, probation screams either a serious onetime infraction or a pattern of sub-par behavior.

Your program is concerned about your ability to thrive on your own. I would treat this as purgatory, halfway between redemption and getting your @$$ booted to the curb. Looking at it from a stakeholders perspective:

-Program perspective: Probation shows they still want to invest in you--which they should as it's a pain/risk to replace a resident, looks bad for the program, and can damage morale in the class. At the same time, their enthusiasm to retain you will be in part predicated on whether you are felt to be capable of completing the program and eventually passing your ABIM exam. Your PD doesn't want to waste their time or yours. For them, this is the ideal time to interview for your replacement (they will be at a disadvantage if they start looking in March). Further, if you fail your boards after barely squeaking by, you will hurt the program's pass rate metrics. In other words, they are taking somewhat of a risk by giving you a chance.

-Your perspective: Forget about transferring to a different program. You would be forfeiting your current spot in order to apply at a disadvantage elsewhere (late in the cycle, other red flags on record, lack of institutional support). Treat this residency as your lifeline, and don't screw it up. This means get your **** together and act like a model resident. no complaining, arguing, tardiness, laziness or ego. Touch base frequently with your PD and chief residents so they can see your effort. Remember, the decisions you make over the next half-year may determine whether or not you will ever be able to pay off your student debts, own a house, or earn a physician's salary--How much are you willing to sacrifice in order to earn 250K-350K/year as a board-certified physician vs 30K/year working overtime as the most educated employee at Macy's? I know it's stressful but it should be.

• Love
i was on remidiation received 1 unsatisfactory evaluation the rest were satisfactory- now I'm told will be on probation for 6 months and cannot get any unsatisfactory evaluations during it...
I feel this is a very difficult and tight position to be in and the stress doesn't really help. They also said i can self resign prior to the probation so it's not on my records and look for another program. This doesn't sound good but I'm assuming the chace of leaving a residency and looking for an open position is slim?
Wait.... i just looked at your other thread where you say you failed multiple rotations, now you say you only have one unsatisfactory.

what’s up with the inconsistency?

• Hmm
Reactions: 2 users
Wait.... i just looked at your other thread where you say you failed multiple rotations, now you say you only have one unsatisfactory.

Busted...

Reactions: 1 user

Didn't have one for a while see above only had 1 during this period mentioned above, so overall improved

Didn't have one for a while see above only had 1 during this period mentioned above, so overall improved
The fact that they have put you on probation and not just dismissed you at this point is a big win for you, and a sign that your program is doing things right.

You went from failing most rotations to only failing one...which was one too many. You now need to spend at least the next 6 months (preferably the remainder of your career in medicine) being absolutely stellar.

Believe it or not, your program is doing you a major solid here. Many residents get passed on with mediocre, at best, performance and are sent off for someone else to deal with. Your PD seems to want you to improve and excel. Take that opportunity and run with it.

Reactions: 9 users
Improved, but not improved enough. You're lucky, one of the categorical programs I'm familiar with would have had you on probation from the second failed rotation and would probably have non-renewed you for the last failed rotation.

Keep working with your program to excel and not fail another rotation.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
It seems strange for a program to put someone on probation for ONLY one unsatisfactory rotation out 6+...

It seems strange for a program to put someone on probation for ONLY one unsatisfactory rotation out 6+...
You missed the post above where the OP was put on remediation halfway through intern year for failing at least one rotation. When you're put on remediation, the message is clear...you have one chance.

As I mentioned above, probation is actually quite generous, many programs would have just non-renewed and cut their losses.

Reactions: 3 users

The OP stated in the first post he was on remediation when he got one unsatisfactory evaluation. So I don't see any inconsistency here. He failed multiple rotations, was put on remediation, then got one unsatisfactory eval.

Reactions: 3 users