This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lacrossegirl420

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

Reactions: 1 users
A better question is the diff between heterochromatin and euchromatin. Think of those two words to describe the state of a chromosome- tightly wound vs relaxed respectively.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
@acstylin : Right, so I definitely understand the difference between hetero and euchromatin, but the sources I've seen are either ambiguous / assume it's "obvious" what the difference between heterochromatin and a chromosome are. So if I'm understanding your post correctly, heterochromatin / euchromatin are just two of the versions a chromosome could be in?

Ya. “Chromosome” is like the general term for the bundle of DNA in our cells but chromosomes have structures and components such as histones. My memory is foggy but I believe chromatin refers to the bundling of histones. We talk about the different conditions the chromatin can be found in. You have euchromatin and heterochromatin which we’ve already discussed. I think comparing heterochromatin to chromosomes is an inaccurate comparison. It’s like comparing a sedan vs automobile. A sedan is an automobile but there is nothing more to learn from that comparison. A better comparison would be to compare two different automobiles right? SUV vs Sedan. Both are autos but totally different from each other. Same as this chromosome thing. Heterochromatin is a specific condition that a chromosome can be found in (tightly wound) but we still don’t learn much from the comparison. Euchromatin (Loose) vs heterochromatin is a comparison that teaches us something. When a chromosome is in a euchromatin state, DNA translation occurs. While in heterochromatin, nothing happens as all the DNA is hidden. Does that help?

Chromatin is the genral packaging of DNA and it's complexed with proteins and non protein molecules. It has the two states of heterochromatin and euchromatin that exist when a cell is non dividing, where the eucchromatin state is accesible and allows for transcription. The heterochromatin state is inaccesible DNA that is not used for transcription.

When a cell is dividing, chromatin becomes maximally condensed and is then called a chromosome. It is not accessible for transcription during this state.

In summary, a chromatin that is maximally condensed in a DIVIDING cell is a chromosome. If it is not dividing, it exists as more loosely packed chromatin which has the two states of hetero and euchromatin. Hope that helps.

Reactions: 1 user