This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

himikie

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
@himikie if you would want to enter a SMP this fall (2020), APPLY NOW! There are still a few places that are accepting applications (potentially until July 1? unsure), and many of them do not require an exam score. If you wait for your MCAT to come back in August, you will probably be too late to enter this September.

Otherwise, the wise @gonnif usually advises to wait to apply to medical schools until after you complete your SMP. So if you entered the SMP in Fall 2021, you would wait to apply to med schools until May 2022. That way, you have your SMP grades and the strongest possible application going in to the cycle.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You're in good position if you don't rush things. Do the SMP, and let the MCAT wash away all your academic sins. Your roll in with a score in the high 510s and a strong SMP performance and you'll get people to bite. Engineering is hard and known hard.

David D MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

@himikie if you would want to enter a SMP this fall (2020), APPLY NOW! There are still a few places that are accepting applications (potentially until July 1? unsure), and many of them do not require an exam score. If you wait for your MCAT to come back in August, you will probably be too late to enter this September.

Otherwise, the wise @gonnif usually advises to wait to apply to medical schools until after you complete your SMP. So if you entered the SMP in Fall 2021, you would wait to apply to med schools until May 2022. That way, you have your SMP grades and the strongest possible application going in to the cycle.

Thank you for your reply and advice. I really appreciate it!
I was planning to enter the SMP in Fall 2021, and wanted to get more clinical experience/volunteering until I wait to apply for the SMP.

You're in good position if you don't rush things. Do the SMP, and let the MCAT wash away all your academic sins. Your roll in with a score in the high 510s and a strong SMP performance and you'll get people to bite. Engineering is hard and known hard.

David D MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Thank you! You just gave me so much hope! :biglove: Hopefully my MCAT goes well!

Thank you for your reply! I am new to SDN so I didn't know that anyone replied back.
My cGPA is 3.20 and sGPA is 3.03 including my CC courses.
As long as you score over 500 in the MCAT you could receive DO interviews. If you do well in the SMP and score over 513 you could receive MD interviews.

Don’t forget to grow the other Volunteering ECs.

Reactions: 1 user