This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Petyr.Baelish

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think your best bet to publish in a prestigious journal is to ask your instructor who might the credentials to sneak a one patient case study into one. I don’t think you’d otherwise be able to get a prestigious one independently because if this was that high impact, I highly doubt your instructor would let you navigate the publication process without heavy handed guidance. Yes I’m an M0 but I do have 6 publications with early authorships in high impact medical journals.

Case reports are hard to get published because it is essentially academic "noise" without any actual benefit. You definitely need an angle to get it published? Is it super rare? Or presenting in a very strange demographic? What's the case?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Case reports are hard to publish.

Use google scholar and just search for the word "case report," and you'll get a lot of results. Use this to find journals still accepting case reports. Refine your search as needed to find journals relevant to your field of interest.

Make sure you pick a journal that is:
1. Not on this list of Predatory Journals
2. Indexed in PubMed or PubMedCentral. If it's not indexed, no one can search for it.
3. Free! Majority of open access journals require payment after acceptance. I've seen it cost as high as $3,000. Typically its anywhere from $350-$1800. Don't expect your mentor to cover the costs!!!

If you're fine not having your name in PubMed, and have the money to cover costs of publishing, then you can ignore 2 and 3.

The journal you mention, American Journal of Medical Studies, does accept case reports. It is an open access journal that costs $360 to publish after acceptance. It is not indexed in PubMed or PubMedCentral.

Reactions: 1 users
Case reports by nature are very low impact. Regular medical journals thus have a very high bar to publish any. That leaves dedicated Case Report journals that go for profit rather than impact. Many are predatory. If you go for one indexed in pubmed, you are pretty safe from that. You are unlikely to find anything that is free. The cheapest ones will have publication fees around $300. One possibility is the Journal of Investigative Medicine High Impact Case Reports. But there are many others. There are a few review articles that describe the process. You should find them by goggling: how to pick a case report journal.