\

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nighthawk2551

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
y

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Get the big book from Kaplan Saddock. Time to read it cover to cover.

Try to lock in some electives with worthwhile peripherals, like a pain medicine (ideally chronic pain management rotation), Sleep Medicine, different Forensics then what your required rotation was if you can wing it. Try to find a rotation with a psychologist or end career MSW if you have to, to get another taste of therapy.

Reflect on the staff you have seen for the past 2 years and talk with your seniors for future rotations you have yet to do and learn who the good teaching staff are. Make sure you do an elective with those staff again, to truly pick their minds. i.e. Squeeze the best juice until its gone.

Didactics are also hit or miss. Some are high yield, some aren't.

Reactions: 1 users
After four years of medical school, you probably aren't surprised by the quality of education. I wouldn't rely on didactics. The Hippocratic oath may include teaching, but most doctors and professors are not trained to do so effectively. I definitely agree with above to read a textbook like Kaplan Saddock cover to cover, as residency will be the only time you will do such things. But I also recommend reading -- real -- books written by leaders in this field that interest you. It will not help you score higher on PRITE, but it will give you invaluable context for the knowledge that you're learning. Exposure to different perspectives and history of psychiatry will help you feel nourished, understand the "why," and can affect your practice greatly. For example, simply understanding that none of the DSM disorders are actual diseases can guide the way you learn and use that fat purple book your entire residency. Some easy and interesting reads are "Saving Normal" by Allen Frances and "Shrinks" by Lieberman.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've always hated lectures, so I used to skip them in undergrad. Residency didactics are definitely worse than those used to be. During really bad didactics, I sit as far away from the speaker as possible and journal important goals for myself or psych/nonpsych ideas that I want to try out. The journal makes it look like I'm paying attention....usually.

As far as resources, I've found that some great basics can be found in guidelines like CANMAT. There's also an EM Psych agitation guideline called Project Beta, that i found helpful for learning about agitation options beyond our institution's defaults. These can all be found on pubmed. Since these guidelines are heavily cited, I can dive as deep into the topic as I want.

Reactions: 2 users
David Ross at Yale has been developing an excellent neuroscience curriculum for postgraduate trainees, and is very interested in disseminating it to other institutions.

You might ask the director of your neuroscience series to integrate some of the Yale curriculum into his material.

Reactions: 1 user