This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

enter_and_escape

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You were competing with noob late summer/early fall interns who probably spent 2-4 months brain dumping after Match Day so it was much easier to look good. Combine that with fatigue and technically ascending into a higher realm of performance, it would be strange if you weren't getting your butt kicked.

Reactions: 1 users
So should I keep trying? I have one more left after this one; the next and last one is at ICU. I've done an ICU rotation at my first sub-I so I'm familiar with ICU settings and quite like it. It's at a more desirable location, not the best name, but quite decent and I rather prefer to match there than at my current sub-I because being close to family is very important for me.

So should I just save my energy for this rotation and just let it slide from matching here?

Members don't see this ad :)
You should continue to try hard because it will make you a better doctor and if you match IM you will spend a lot of time on subspecialties. So you will learn another skill set. Now, should you go 110% and suck up to everyone and treat every day like an interview? Probably not, it doesn't seem like you've made a great impression and even the most sucking up would make you neutral at best. But this is a rotation in your chosen field (albeit a subspecialty), so you should try hard.

Reactions: 1 user
I went from getting praised for being thorough, prepared, detail oriented and being able to carry 4-5 patients a day to getting demoted to 1 patient a day because “he can’t handle it. I can’t answer attending’s questions about my patients. I don’t know how to adjust from wards mentality to subspecialty mentality. I got high praise and strong letters from my attendings at my last two sub-I’s; I was told I was performing better than some of the interns and that they want me to come back as a resident. I don’t know what’s going on.
LOL! Ill tell you what is going on, you have entered the real world where your abilities are being tested. Such a classic med student; doesn't get praised/ not getting told they are the best and they don't know how to handle it. How about instead being sad about it, you pick up another patient and "show them" that you can handle it. Or as the attending for feedback, it will show you care and also where you need to improve on.
To be honest I hated 3rd and 4th year because well, deep down I knew, I wasn't needed there; the patients would be seen if I was there or not. Take this as an early lesson that no one will care what you did in the past, they care how you perform right then and there.

• Haha
LOL! Ill tell you what is going on, you have entered the real world where your abilities are being tested. Such a classic med student; doesn't get praised/ not getting told they are the best and they don't know how to handle it. How about instead being sad about it, you pick up another patient and "show them" that you can handle it. Or as the attending for feedback, it will show you care and also where you need to improve on.
To be honest I hated 3rd and 4th year because well, deep down I knew, I wasn't needed there; the patients would be seen if I was there or not. Take this as an early lesson that no one will care what you did in the past, they care how you perform right then and there.

I think i already enter the real world when I did my first two sub-I. I also trained at a major hospital for my 3rd year so this is not my first rodeo where I’m not told I’m the best.

But thank you for your insight.

The question was, as some people have already explained above, should I even bother to continue to suck up to match here if they are not impressed and I don’t find myself happy here, or should I just continue for the sake of learning?

The question was, as some people have already explained above, should I even bother to continue to suck up to match here if they are not impressed and I don’t find myself happy here, or should I just continue for the sake of learning?

your question has been answered multiple times... this may elude to why you're struggling in a sub-specialty..

Status
Not open for further replies.