This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

honey0102

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just began an inpatient rotation...
It is fascinating but I feel like it's all over my head. I'm still learning how to use Epic. I see so much info and not sure what's relevant or how to pre-chart fast. My attending asks a ton of pimp questions to me and the interns-I'm left baffled.
Does it ever get better?
I read up on my patients/their conditions...but, it's overwhelming...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just began Internal Medicine, inpatient.
It is fascinating but I feel like it's all over my head. I'm still learning how to use Epic. I see so much info and not sure what's relevant or how to pre-chart fast. My attending asks a ton of pimp questions to me and the interns-I'm left baffled.
Does it ever get better? And if so when? Is IM/surg the hardest rotation?
I read up on my patients/their conditions...but, it's overwhelming...

There are a lot of moving pieces so it’s obviously hard as student to keep it all together because all of these problems are learned mostly in isolation from one another. Rare is the 20s year old patient, otherwise healthy, sick enough to be in the hospital with a single problem.

As a student I’d want to you to first stick the real problem keeping them in the hospital and what needs to be done about that. Why are they are here and what are we doing about it? Is it better, worse or unchanged? If it’s resolved what is the thing keeping them in them in the hospital? Then know the rest of their chronic medical issues and what is being done for them while in the hospital.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with JDH - as an attending I don't expect my MS3 to know much but I ask questions to feel out where their knowledge is and where their gaps are. Then I know where to focus my teaching. If you want to impress know their primary diagnosis forward and backward and hit uptodate to come up with a coherent plan. The chronic issues you can be less certain about what to do. Once you start having a good plan for the acute issues and the chronic issues that's when you catch an honors from me.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks everyone :)
I successfully finished my rotation. Ended up doing a lot of what you mentioned and got really good evals + recc letter

Last edited: