This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mariposas905

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
OUWB would be the choice that yields more options for you later, in terms of WL school and potentially residency. Also, 100k is 100k. Health insurance is not cheap either.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys, sorry for the long post but I need to decide between these schools very soon since the CTE deadlines are coming up! I'm pretty perplexed atm, since both schools have factors that I like and I'm having trouble deciding which factors are most important. Would love to hear your thoughts! I highlighted in green/red the factors that are most important to me.

OUWB SOM

Advantages:

-50% off per year scholarship (so Total COA for 4 years would be $181,700) - could be more possibility for scholarships, but no guarantee - health insurance included
-great and proven match list
with high STEP scores
-also has an embedded 4-year research project (EMBARK)
-amazing clinical rotations at Beaumont Health, which is a strong hospital
-kind and supportive faculty
-cheaper housing and cost of living
-focus on service and reflections
-later CTE deadline of July 15th) means more chance to get accepted of WL for my IS schools

Maybe an advantage? Not sure:
-slightly larger class size (125) which could mean more friends and connections
-Step 1 is done with earlier in med school

Disadvantages:
-no support system nearby :(
-cold location which might make med school more depressing
-honors grade designation in first two years; in order to honor a course, you need to get a 90% in the class as well as attend 70% of the lectures, so lectures are essentially mandatory (must attend 70% to be eligible for high pass)

-no chance for electives during third year
-suburban so not much to do

TCU UNT SOM

Advantages:

-amazing staff and faculty who seem very invested in this school
-innovative curriculum w/ lots of team-based problem solving
-longitudinal integrated clerkship with 1:1 preceptor and physician coaches (loved this part!)
-connection with both TCU and UNTHSC (more resources)
-BEAUTIFUL facilities, library, and gym! plus, virtual reality anatomy is pretty cool
-true P/F with no student ranking
-compassionate and empathy-based curriculum
-embedded research project
-Dallas-Fort Worth location is better, warmer weather
-great support system in Dallas

Maybe an advantage? Not sure:
-flipped classroom with NO LECTURES
-small class size (60 students)
-rotations across different hospitals
-USMLE Step 1 in 3rd year

Disadvantages:

-brand new MD school where I would be part of the first class
-expensive (Total 4-year COA is ~$261,110) w/tuition being $60,318/year (1st year tuition of ~$57,500 is free) - health insurance NOT included

-no student clubs in place
-no upperclassmen or residency track record
-early CTE deadline which means no chance to wait on my IS schools (top choices)

So basically, TCU is a brand new school that is about $79K more total than OUWB (~$20K/year more) but is in a better location and gives me an awesome support system. However, TCU has an early CTE date so it does not give me an opportunity to remain on the WL for my two IS schools. OUWB is relatively more established with more classmates, upperclassmen support, and proven residency record. Plus it is my cheapest option. However, I am worried about living in cold MI with no support system especially during med school, which can get pretty stressful.

I need to decide asap and appreciate any and all input!
Nearly everyone on the multiple threads you have started on this issue has advised you to choose the more established school.
I will only add that it would be considerate to make this choice before (not on) the June 1 CTE deadline so that someone else might have more options.

Reactions: 4 users
Have you thought about reaching out to your WL schools? You have nothing to lose by doing so and theyre clearly a better fit from what you’re saying

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at and really liked OUWB. They are a great school that seems to really invest and care about their students. Beaumont is fantastic and their STEP scores are strong. They've proven themselves at this point, and they would be my choice. However, it seems like you really favor TCU. If that's where your heart lies and you feel like you would regret choosing OUWB, then do that. If the strength of your support system and your love of the curriculum outweighs the cons, then go for it.

Have you thought about reaching out to your WL schools? You have nothing to lose by doing so and theyre clearly a better fit from what you’re saying

Yes, I reached out and they basically told me their lists are not moving but that they'll keep me in mind :shrug: