This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

num76

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
A great dilemma to have! Trying to get some extra insight before booking travel for second looks.

I'm not expecting much if any aid due to parents' income, but will be taking out loans for COA minus any merit.

I'm thinking academic medicine but not especially competitive specialties as of now. I know no residency doors will be closed coming from any of these. I have interests in both engineering/devices and public health, which is shaping some of my thinking.

I'm from the Midwest but I'm single, fairly obligation-free, and would love to get out (especially to the East Coast) for school and/or residency, if not necessarily forever.

Harvard (either HST or Pathways)
+ It's Harvard! Maybe I'm basic but it's been my dream school for years and has research, money, etc. in every area across the spectrum of my interests. Plus my family and friends are over the moon about this acceptance and I would have to explain myself repeatedly to a lot of people if I turned it down lol
- Cons to both HST (lecture-heavy, 2 years pre-clinical) & Pathways (maybe too far toward flipped-classroom end) curricula

WashU (half-tuition scholarship)
+ Probably best prestige/cost balance
- Less warm-fuzzy feelings after visiting than other 2, but I know second look is a better time to judge this
- Super traditional curriculum, plus my class might have bumpiness from upcoming curriculum change without benefiting
- Weaker in PH and engineering (though still lots of research/activity at med & engineering intersection)

Michigan (~half-tuition scholarship)
+ My favorite curriculum of the 4 programs
- Ann Arbor is great, but sacrifices in service opportunities and social/activity options vs. a big city

The consensus in this forum seems to be to minimize cost between same-tier schools. I can see how full cost vs. a COA scholarship is a no-brainer, but in my case ($360k vs. $215k) this seems murkier. I'm looking at a great school and big debt no matter what. Both those numbers will probably shape my life and possibly career choices for a long time after graduating. Is it crazy to take on $100k+ extra for location and Harvard's prestige & opportunities?
$360k is a lot of debt and not to be taken lightly. Yes you will be able to pay it back but what if you end up with an SO and kids by the time you graduate? Add in a lower paying specialty (if that's what you fall for) and $360k plus interest can take a while to pay back. That's like having a second home to pay mortgage on! I definitely recommend Michigan or Wash U. I also recommend you go to Wash U's 2nd look day and find out more about how the new curriculum changes will affect you so you can factor that decision in.

Reactions: 1 users
No bad choice, but Harvard because of the device design and public health aspect, although MI in my mind would also be a not terrible choice for those things. 100K difference is large, but probably not the end of the world and will be less a fraction of a years salary in the long run.

Hahvuhd. How you like them apples??

In all seriousness though, you can't put a price on what that prestige can get you in the long run. If you are trying to explore engineering to maybe do research, you can always check out MIT which is just a train stop or two a way from Cambridge. If you see yourself doing academic medicine then IMO there is no better place than Harvard and you will still get a world class clinical education at MGH.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hahvuhd. How you like them apples??

In all seriousness though, you can't put a price on what that prestige can get you in the long run. If you are trying to explore engineering to maybe do research, you can always check out MIT which is just a train stop or two a way from Cambridge. If you see yourself doing academic medicine then IMO there is no better place than Harvard and you will still get a world class clinical education at MGH.
seems like you can put a price on the Big H , 360K.

seems like you can put a price on the Big H , 360K.
Figure of speech lol. Anyway, maybe you can put a price on a Harvard education but considering OP's goals, I think the it's a worthy investment. Besides I'm sure with their huge alumni network/endowment, OP won't even pay the full sticker price for the Big H. According to MSAR the average graduate indebtedness is about 105K.

Figure of speech lol. Anyway, maybe you can put a price on a Harvard education but considering OP's goals, I think the it's a worthy investment. Besides I'm sure with their huge alumni network/endowment, OP won't even pay the full sticker price for the Big H. According to MSAR the average graduate indebtedness is about 105K.
It was a joke.

The average msar number incorporates people with full rides and people who have their bill paid for by parents incorporated into the total.

If you're determined on doing 2 second looks, I'd consider giving UMich another peek. Being a public school they actually do a lot of cool social things that HMS does not (such as serve people who can't afford decent insurance). Also the public health program there is very respected and Michigan engineering also does cool biotech work. Plus they have the whole midwest supportive/collaborative/welcoming culture thing going and you may be able to finaggle some more aid if you talk to their office.

That being said, HMS sounds like where you want to be and will open doors in all the areas you're interested in. Pathways and HST are very different programs, so that in of itself is a big decision. Congrats!

Reactions: 1 user