This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JivTor

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What race have you checking on official documents thus far?

What official documentation do you mean? I'm Canadian so I don't think we have the same level of scrutiny (i.e., I wasn't asked race when I applied to University). I also haven't written the MCAT yet. My Canadian passport says place of birth is India, but that's about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
What official documentation do you mean? I'm Canadian so I don't think we have the same level of scrutiny (i.e., I wasn't asked race when I applied to University). I also haven't written the MCAT yet. My Canadian passport says place of birth is India, but that's about it.

What do you mark when asked to choose? What about on your driver's license?

Either way, my suggestion is to continue marking whatever you normally mark. If you check "other" or "multi-racial" or "Asian and Black", etc. Also, do you have any service hours to the Black community? (My apologies in advance if I'm wrong in my assumption that the URM portion you're referring to is African)

What do you mark when asked to choose? What about on your driver's license?

Either way, my suggestion is to continue marking whatever you normally mark. If you check "other" or "multi-racial" or "Asian and Black", etc. Also, do you have any service hours to the Black community? (My apologies in advance if I'm wrong in my assumption that the URM portion you're referring to is African)

I honestly don't think I've ever been asked to choose. Driver's licenses here also don't have any race identifying text--only listing height, weight, and hair/eye color.

Normally if given only one option I'd mark Asian Indian, but if there is a mixed race option available, I would include both. I don't have any hours of service to the black community (which is quite small living in the part of Canada that I do). Skin-color wise, my grandfather is definitely as dark if not darker than most African-Americans but I'm not as much (definitely still a visible minority though). You're right though, Guyana is mostly Indo-African, so maybe that's what I'd choose.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but reading past threads on URM classification, it seems that the "black" label is generally applied to descendants of American and European slavery and colonialism, which Guyana would fall under as a former British West Indies Territory. Maybe I should email AMCAS and see what they feel would be most appropriate...

AAMC is likely going to tell you to just be honest and mark what you would mark on any other form that asks you to choose a race. I'm not sure if you can specify if you choose other, but maybe someone else can chime in. Also, not sure how marking Black, with no service to the community, and an ambgious look will go either.

Maybe @Goro can help.

Last edited:
My Dad is half Guyanese, half Pakistani. My mom is Asian Indian.

The bit of ambiguity is due to the Guyanese part of my ancestry, not really sure where I stand with that since Guyana is in South America. I've only really ever been raised as Asian Indian my whole life.

I don't want to leave out that I'm South American and have it be an issue later on if it comes up during an interview or something.

- Applicant for the 2019/2020 cycle.
You're not URM

Reactions: 7 users
The Guyanese is a little too dilute for you to be considered URM. If you were fully Guyanese, you could probably play your hand

My Dad is half Guyanese, half Pakistani. My mom is Asian Indian.

The bit of ambiguity is due to the Guyanese part of my ancestry, not really sure where I stand with that since Guyana is in South America. I've only really ever been raised as Asian Indian my whole life.

I don't want to leave out that I'm South American and have it be an issue later on if it comes up during an interview or something.

- Applicant for the 2019/2020 cycle.
If there is no time in your life when you have thought of yourself as Black or Hispanic or been treated as such, check (South) Asian which is of course not URM...this is not that deep.

Reactions: 5 users