This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

remain_in_light

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello SDN,

My mom is Puerto Rican, dad's white, but I was born in the mainland USA. I read the AAMC's definition of URM, but I'm not sure if I qualify given that I'm only half Puerto Rican and was born in the USA. Do you guys have any perspective on whether I would be considered a URM?

Thanks for any help or thoughts here! Sorry if this is inappropriate for the board.

So if it gives you any perspective I’m half Latina, born abroad, but I am not Mexican American nor main land Puerto Rican. I applied this cycle assuming I wasn’t really URM and considering my low GPA to a wide range of schools namely mostly mid tier schools and 4 top 20s and I am now shocked to be saying I’m choosing between two top 20 schools. Even if you are not considered URM by medical schools (I personally think you are) I would shoot high and apply to a range. You never know what they are looking for and many schools value people from varied backgrounds. Buena suerte :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
So if it gives you any perspective I’m half Latina, born abroad, but I am not Mexican American nor main land Puerto Rican. I applied this cycle assuming I wasn’t really URM and considering my low GPA to a wide range of schools namely mostly mid tier schools and 4 top 20s and I am now shocked to be saying I’m choosing between two top 20 schools. Even if you are not considered URM by medical schools (I personally think you are) I would shoot high and apply to a range. You never know what they are looking for and many schools value people from varied backgrounds. Buena suerte :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Congratulations on your accomplishments that's amazing!!! I've done some talking to advisors and the like and found that everyone I've talked to would consider me URM. I'll definitely take your advice and theirs and apply broadly but aim high. Thanks for your perspective and I hope medical school treats you well.

Last edited: