[...]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fa21212

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
[...]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey guys,
I hope this does not come off as neurotic (but I realize that it may). I've been seeing people get interview invites left and right to schools I've applied to and so far I haven't gotten one. I have a 524 / 3.9 with mediocre ECs. Should I be applying to more mid-tier / low-tier schools given my lack of interview invites thus far? Here is my schools list below. Thanks for your help!

UCI
USF
Penn
NYU
UCF
UCSD
Washington St. Louis
Dartmouth
Baylor College of Medicine
Feinberg
Florida International
Emory
Pritzker
Pitt
Columbia
UCSF
Harvard
Mayo MN
Mayo AZ
Vanderbilt
Michigan
Duke
Miami
Johns Hopkins
Case Western
FSU
UF
Albert Einstein College
Yale
UCLA
FAU
Stanford

In my unprofessional opinion, I wouldn't worry too much about not having any interviews at this point. Chances are the schools haven't even read your application yet. Whether you feel it is appropriate to add mid/low tiers also depends on your EC's. Your GPA/MCAT are great - good work!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys,
I hope this does not come off as neurotic (but I realize that it may). I've been seeing people get interview invites left and right to schools I've applied to and so far I haven't gotten one. I have a 524 / 3.9 with mediocre ECs. Should I be applying to more mid-tier / low-tier schools given my lack of interview invites thus far? Here is my schools list below. Thanks for your help!

UCI
USF
Penn
NYU
UCF
UCSD
Washington St. Louis
Dartmouth
Baylor College of Medicine
Feinberg
Florida International
Emory
Pritzker
Pitt
Columbia
UCSF
Harvard
Mayo MN
Mayo AZ
Vanderbilt
Michigan
Duke
Miami
Johns Hopkins
Case Western
FSU
UF
Albert Einstein College
Yale
UCLA
FAU
Stanford

Absolutely. Good grades alone are usually not enough to get into most of these schools. ECs are very important. I went to NYU and a lot of my friends both there and at similar caliber schools had some very interesting and diverse ECs, in addition to fantastic grades. Well rounded applicants is what schools look for.

Members don't see this ad :)
Define "mediocre." Your list is top-heavy to be sure, but you also have pretty incredible stats. At the bare minimum you should apply to every MD school in your state.

Applied to every MD in FL. I'm a super non-trad candidate. I spent the last decade working in finance. Here are the ECs I have on my AMCAS app:

Hospital Volunteer for 400 hours
Assisted Living Facility Volunteer for 300 hours
Health Policy Researcher for 200 hours (mostly lit reviews)
Hospital Volunteer for 140 hours (another hospital)
Physician Shadowing for 60 hours
CEO of Investment Management Company since 2014 (small startup)
Analyst at Various Hedge Funds in SF and NYC
Investment Banking Analyst at Goldman Sachs
Board Member of Non-Profit Focused on Developing Countries for 250 Hours
President of 2 Finance Oriented Clubs at Harvard Undergrad
Serving underserved during undergrad by helping with small claims for 100 hours

LOL these are not mediocre ECs... they are pretty good -- very on par with myself and my classmates/co-residents

So do you think I should apply to more despite the lack of II's? Or just sit tight and enjoy the roller coaster ride?

Well it is very early to be worrying about lack of IIs, but if you have the cash, adding a few schools can not hurt you. With your app and school list, I suspect that you should get at least one interview.

Applied to every MD in FL. I'm a super non-trad candidate. I spent the last decade working in finance. Here are the ECs I have on my AMCAS app:

Hospital Volunteer for 400 hours
Assisted Living Facility Volunteer for 300 hours
Health Policy Researcher for 200 hours (mostly lit reviews)
Hospital Volunteer for 140 hours (another hospital)
Physician Shadowing for 60 hours
CEO of Investment Management Company since 2014 (small startup)
Analyst at Various Hedge Funds in SF and NYC
Investment Banking Analyst at Goldman Sachs
Board Member of Non-Profit Focused on Developing Countries for 250 Hours
President of 2 Finance Oriented Clubs at Harvard Undergrad
Serving underserved during undergrad by helping with small claims for 100 hours
You're golden. If you don't get multiple acceptances I'll eat my hat and the hat of every dean of admissions that rejects you.

Reactions: 1 users
It's farkin' July.

If you don't have any invitations by mid-September, then worry about your personal statement. But with your numbers low tier school's aren't the answer. Search for the "Stat *****" schools and make sure you've applied there.

Otherwise, chill.

Vandy & WashU:
my-precious2.jpg