[...]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fa21212

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
[...]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I remember this question. It is because they assume internet vigilantes have access to more information (which I think was supported by the passage) so that is why it is informational. Normative is basically doing something to be liked/accepted and if I remember correctly, the vigilantes weren't acting because of that.

Hi @fa21212 -

Don't get trapped up by the fact that the passage mentions that the vigilantes "may want to enforce social norms" -- despite the similar wording, for normative influence to be in play, we'd have to see a specific example of people whose approval the vigilantes are seeking through conforming with certain expectations. Although we might imagine that internet vigilantes might be seeking approval from other internet vigilantes, peers, or others, the passage doesn't specifically tell us anything about that -- whereas the passage tells us a couple times about how vigilantes "evaluate the information they find too quickly," suggesting that the issue may have to do with which information they choose to believe (informational influence). Thus, informational influence is better supported by the scenario described in the passage.

Hope this clarifies things!