[...]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fa21212

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
[...]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What are all the ECs? I only have the ECs that I put.
I have some volunteering at hospital and at senior center.

Well, you have time, but you also need to shadow doctors (to show that you know what a doctor's day is like) and also do some non-clinical volunteering (to show off your altruism).

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, we need an MCAT score.

Also, do you have any ties (relationship/children) that would keep you in your current location?

Besides the random volunteering/shadowing, what else have you done?

My goal is to keep the option to go into a competitive specialty open.

If you want a competitive specialty, then aim for a med school with MSTP ....in Florida, that would be UMiami.

You don't have to go to a Harvard-like med to get into a competitive specialty.

Come back with an MCAT score. Until then - generic advice is to apply broadly to all private schools that are OOS friendly + your in state.

Reactions: 3 users
I have some volunteering at hospital and at senior center.

Well, you have time, but you also need to shadow doctors (to show that you know what a doctor's day is like) and also do some non-clinical volunteering (to show off your altruism).
I second @Goro's advice, and recommend that you get experience shadowing doctors in a wide variety of specialties. My typical day in no way resembles that of my FP colleagues, who have little in common with interventional radiologists, who differ from blah blah blah & etc. Shadowing a variety of physicians will demonstrate that you appreciate the sheer variety of specialties, and it may lead to something compelling for your personal statement and/or interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
looking forward to this post three years from now

Reactions: 1 users
Your GPA is great. Your MCAT is great. Your school pedigree is great. Make sure to have some recent volunteering and I think you are a good candidate for many good schools in the top 20. I’d still apply broadly and try to have 15-25 apps in to schools you have a good shot at. Maybe a mix of 12 competitive, 4 reach, 4 lower good schools.