[ ]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

noflag

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
[]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
i dont think its too top heavy 7/30 or so schools are a reach for you i think thats still ok

My ECs:
Top 10 university
2.5 year bench research (1000+ hours) -- possible pub but unlikely before app cycle
100 hours hospital volunteering
50 hours Physician shadowing (specialty + Primary care)
100+ hours of clinical research/clinical exposure in specialty
300+ hours working for non-profit
100+ hours of paid Tutoring
President of Non-clinical Student Service Org
Other Misc. leadership position

I'm just wondering if my school list is too top heavy? Should i add any ones I've missed? I'm complete at around half right now. Thank you so much.

Albert Einstein
BU
Case Western
Drexel
Duke
Emory
Geisel - Dartmouth
Georgetown
GW
Hofstra
Jefferson
Mayo
Miami
Mt. Sinai
NYU
Ohio State
Rochester
Rush
Stony Brook
SUNY Buffalo
SUNY Downstate
SUNY Upstate
Temple
Tufts
Tulane
UVA
VCU
Wake Forest
Weill Cornell
If your home state is NY then you are fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
No, its a good list for you.

I would ditch Dartmouth, UVA, Ohio State and maybe Mayo. Everything else is fine.

really appreciate it guys thanks so much

I don't see why he should ditch those schools, Grapes. Some of their averages are lower than Boston or NYU. Ohio State gives no in-state preference (they do require anatomy as a pre-req, though, so make sure you meet their requirements).

Some people want to apply to every school they have a chance at. If you have the cash, go for it!

I'd actually add a few more reach schools assuming finances aren't an issue. I had similar stats (albeit five years ago), and got multiple acceptances at Top 20 institutions and ended up attending a Top 10 institution off the waitlist. You never know which school might find something unique in your application. I certainly got rejected from a few places (Harvard, Yale) but got a lot of interviews at Top 20 institutions (UCSF, Stanford, Sinai, NYU, Cornell, Columbia, Penn, U.Chicago).

Reactions: 1 user
I'd actually add a few more reach schools assuming finances aren't an issue. I had similar stats (albeit five years ago), and got multiple acceptances at Top 20 institutions and ended up attending a Top 10 institution off the waitlist. You never know which school might find something unique in your application. I certainly got rejected from a few places (Harvard, Yale) but got a lot of interviews at Top 20 institutions (UCSF, Stanford, Sinai, NYU, Cornell, Columbia, Penn, U.Chicago).
Are you ORM, though?

I'd trade out Cornell for NYU, MT Sinai, Columbia, or Pitt.

My ECs:
Top 10 university
2.5 year bench research (1000+ hours) -- possible pub but unlikely before app cycle
100 hours hospital volunteering
50 hours Physician shadowing (specialty + Primary care)
100+ hours of clinical research/clinical exposure in specialty
300+ hours working for non-profit
100+ hours of paid Tutoring
President of Non-clinical Student Service Org
Other Misc. leadership position

I'm just wondering if my school list is too top heavy? Should i add any ones I've missed? I'm complete at around half right now. Thank you so much.

Albert Einstein
BU
Case Western
Drexel
Duke
Emory
Geisel - Dartmouth
Georgetown
GW
Hofstra
Jefferson
Mayo
Miami
Mt. Sinai
NYU
Ohio State
Rochester
Rush
Stony Brook
SUNY Buffalo
SUNY Downstate
SUNY Upstate
Temple
Tufts
Tulane
UVA
VCU
Wake Forest
Weill Cornell

I don't see why he should ditch those schools, Grapes. Some of their averages are lower than Boston or NYU. Ohio State gives no in-state preference (they do require anatomy as a pre-req, though, so make sure you meet their requirements).

Some people want to apply to every school they have a chance at. If you have the cash, go for it!

Because if you want to apply to reaches make smart choices on those reaches at least. 85% of Dartmouth is non-trads; being in that other 15% requires something exceptional. 3.65/34 in all likelyhood ain't that. Ohio State can talk all the want about not giving in- state preference; 22% of their apps are in state yet 56% of their matriculants are in state. Gyngyn and others have talked about how getting into Ohio State OOS really requires standing out in some sort almost eccentric way. Not a particularly on point choice for an OOS with those stats. Mayo has a really small entering class on top of having high entrance stats. Not a high yield school at all. UVA's median MCAT is around 35 and that includes half a class of IS matriculants. OOS the standards are just higher due to fierce competition(and a 3.65 is definitely on the low side of things OOS).

IF you're aiming high, Goro's suggestions are on point with schools to replace those with; NYU, Mt Sinai, Pitt. Maybe even Duke Northwestern and Vanderbilt. That said, keeping one or two of the above schools is fine if the OP has a strong interest in them; it's just they are all on the longer side of things and really if the OP wants reaches, the right top 20 schools would probably be a better way to go than Ohio State OOS or Dartmouth and their 85% non traditionals unless there's something that really draws the OP to those schools.

Status
Not open for further replies.