D

deleted687538

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in a BS/MD program.. And I've never had to take a prep course, nor have I had one offered to me. I had a special orientation I had to go to, plus a few extra meetings.

Now that doesn't mean that a prep course doesn't exist.

Yes, scam. All you need to apply to the Bachelor-MD programs out there is strong test scores and grades, plus some exposure/reason to go into medicine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, scam. All you need to apply to the Bachelor-MD programs out there is strong test scores and grades, plus some exposure/reason to go into medicine.
If I have strong test scores but not so strong grades until junior year with very strong grades and a huge interest in medicine, would it be a possibility to get into one of these programs, or is every single one a longshot?

Depends on the program, something like Wustl will be able to demand a lot more perfection than some of the state options, but in all cases the applicant pool will be well qualified. You'd better have VERY strong scores, flawless junior/senior grades and great ECs!

If I have strong test scores but not so strong grades until junior year with very strong grades and a huge interest in medicine, would it be a possibility to get into one of these programs, or is every single one a longshot?

E
Depends on the program, something like Wustl will be able to demand a lot more perfection than some of the state options, but in all cases the applicant pool will be well qualified. You'd better have VERY strong scores, flawless junior/senior grades and great ECs!

Efle, were you in a BS/Md program?

E

Efle, were you in a BS/Md program?
Nope, I'm regular ol' undergrad, I actually didn't know about BS/MD when I was in high school. I did meet a couple BS/MD candidates who were visiting though, and they were very impressive (2400 SAT, top of their well-known private high school, lots of time in lab as a high schooler). Wustl isn't the only prestigious undergrad to have a BS/MD (eg. Brown has one) but it is the only Top 10 MD with a BS/MD feeder. Next up in the 20s-30s would be Northwestern, UCSD and Rice/Baylor.

The programs also have a big range of requisites for members, where one might not require the MCAT at all while another one requires a top 3% score. /ramble

Nope, I'm regular ol' undergrad, I actually didn't know about BS/MD when I was in high school. I did meet a couple BS/MD candidates who were visiting though, and they were very impressive (2400 SAT, top of their well-known private high school, lots of time in lab as a high schooler). Wustl isn't the only prestigious undergrad to have a BS/MD (eg. Brown has one) but it is the only Top 10 MD with a BS/MD feeder. Next up in the 20s-30s would be Northwestern, UCSD and Rice/Baylor.

The programs also have a big range of requisites for members, where one might not require the MCAT at all while another one requires a top 3% score. /ramble

This is going to come off as a stupid question, but is Washington University a top BS/MD program? I chose Kentucky BS/MD over Washington University, UAB BS/MD program and Meharry. I never had a list of top BS/MD programs.

I'm assuming WUSTL is Washington University Saint Louis. I could be terribly wrong

Yeah, WashU = Wustl = Washington Uni St. Louis, and it's by far the best for the MD component and among the few best for the Bachelor component (along with Northwestern, Rice and Brown). I'm surprised they weren't bragging about their MD school when you interviewed, they love to tout their US News rank #6, above places like Duke, Yale, Columbia. It's a demanding program though, you're required to make a 3.8+ GPA and a top 3% (36+) MCAT - interestingly the 3.8 GPA is actually harder/rarer at WashU.

Now your ACT and GPA would only be average for Wustl undergrad, so what crazy killer ECs did you have to get accepted to the BS/MD!?

Yeah, WashU = Wustl = Washington Uni St. Louis, and it's by far the best for the MD component and among the few best for the Bachelor component (along with Northwestern, Rice and Brown). I'm surprised they weren't bragging about their MD school when you interviewed, they love to tout their US News rank #6, above places like Duke, Yale, Columbia. It's a demanding program though, you're required to make a 3.8+ GPA and a top 3% (36+) MCAT - interestingly the 3.8 GPA is actually harder/rarer at WashU.

Now your ACT and GPA would only be average for Wustl undergrad, so what crazy killer ECs did you have to get accepted to the BS/MD!?

Well, crap. I wish they would've bragged a little then, because I wasn't aware that it was such a great program. No one mentioned being ranked that high. I feel like an idiot. Nor did I know that US news had a ranking of the programs.

My EC's were "amazing" according to most colleges. I had around 1500 hours spent Mostly volunteering/shadowing/clinical experience/etc. (going into detail sucks)
I spent the summer of my junior and senior year in a lab overseas. Plus I did lab internships at UAB every 4 days of the week for 2 years.
I was Class president at a "prestigious" private school and the president of 11 out of 12 clubs, except DECA. I played soccer, football baseball, and sometimes volleyball (even fooled around with quidditch at one point). I did all this while maintaining a 3.96 unweighted GPA, 33 ACT (36 super score) 2400 SAT. I left out a lot of detail, but that's a quick run down of some of my stats. I have a full Official list if you want me to email it to you or something.

My letters of recommendation is probably how I was accepted in the first place. Bill Haslam, Jay Nixon, and a senator all wrote personal letters of recommendation.

Either way, I don't have any regrets. I enjoy Lexington and UK.

800 SAT 2 math 700 SAT 2 chem 34 ACT superscored

3 honors courses including science research junior year, 8 courses total with As across the board, am I on the right track?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, crap. I wish they would've bragged a little then, because I wasn't aware that it was such a great program. No one mentioned being ranked that high. I feel like an idiot. Nor did I know that US news had a ranking of the programs.

My EC's were "amazing" according to most colleges. I had around 1500 hours spent Mostly volunteering/shadowing/clinical experience/etc. (going into detail sucks)
I spent the summer of my junior and senior year in a lab overseas. Plus I did lab internships at UAB every 4 days of the week for 2 years.
I was Class president at a "prestigious" private school and the president of 11 out of 12 clubs, except DECA. I played soccer, football baseball, and sometimes volleyball (even fooled around with quidditch at one point). I did all this while maintaining a 3.96 unweighted GPA, 33 ACT (36 super score) 2400 SAT. I left out a lot of detail, but that's a quick run down of some of my stats. I have a full Official list if you want me to email it to you or something.

My letters of recommendation is probably how I was accepted in the first place. Bill Haslam, Jay Nixon, and a senator all wrote personal letters of recommendation.
US News ranks are commonly cited but not always the best thing to look at - the biggest factor in that ranking is research funding at the school, which isn't everyone's primary goal in their MD career. By pretty much every measure though WashU med comes out among the top handful, stuff like being tied for highest median MCAT with Penn, tied for 3rd highest residency director scores.

Ah, the 2400 SAT + great ECs + big name supporters makes a lot more sense. If the BS/MD at Kentucky is non-binding and they allow you to hold your spot while also applying to other MD schools, you may want to. You'll probably kill the MCAT and be a standout at UK and going somewhere like Harvard/Stanford/Hopkins would make it much easier to access the most competitive specialties/residencies.

800 SAT 2 math 700 SAT 2 chem 34 ACT superscored

3 honors courses including science research junior year, 8 courses total with As across the board, am I on the right track?
Again, depends on the program. At some colleges you would be average (or even below average) with that, at others you'd be a high outlier. Apply to a bunch of BS/MD and a bunch of typical undergrad.

Reactions: 1 user
US News ranks are commonly cited but not always the best thing to look at - the biggest factor in that ranking is research funding at the school, which isn't everyone's primary goal in their MD career. By pretty much every measure though WashU med comes out among the top handful, stuff like being tied for highest median MCAT with Penn, tied for 3rd highest residency director scores.

Ah, the 2400 SAT + great ECs + big name supporters makes a lot more sense. If the BS/MD at Kentucky is non-binding and they allow you to hold your spot while also applying to other MD schools, you may want to. You'll probably kill the MCAT and be a standout at UK and going somewhere like Harvard/Stanford/Hopkins would make it much easier to access the most competitive specialties/residencies.

I'm almost positive the program at Kentucky is binding, but only because your 4th year of of college, is your first year of medical school as well. I have to meet with an advisor Monday and I'll probably ask about applying to other medical schools. Ever since I visited John Hopkins on a HOSA trip, I've had an underlying passion for the school. To be honest, the main reason I applied to places close to home is because I don't trust my vehicle. If it wasn't for that, I probably would've shot for Ivy League schools, or more prestigious BS/MD programs.

As far as killing the MCAT, I'm hoping to do well. I take it September 23rd. I spend two nights of the week, 4 hours at a time, studying for it. I've already taken all the prerequisites for the new MCAT, except sociology, which all the BS/MD students are taking this summer.

Should I already have an idea of what specialty I want to go into? I was asked that question at every interview, and I answered it with no problem but I'm still confused on what I want to do.

Again, depends on the program. At some colleges you would be average (or even below average) with that, at others you'd be a high outlier. Apply to a bunch of BS/MD and a bunch of typical undergrad.

I'm almost positive the program at Kentucky is binding, but only because your 4th year of of college, is your first year of medical school as well. I have to meet with an advisor Monday and I'll probably ask about applying to other medical schools. Ever since I visited John Hopkins on a HOSA trip, I've had an underlying passion for the school. To be honest, the main reason I applied to places close to home is because I don't trust my vehicle. If it wasn't for that, I probably would've shot for Ivy League schools, or more prestigious BS/MD programs.

As far as killing the MCAT, I'm hoping to do well. I take it September 23rd. I spend two nights of the week, 4 hours at a time, studying for it. I've already taken all the prerequisites for the new MCAT, except sociology, which all the BS/MD students are taking this summer.

Should I already have an idea of what specialty I want to go into? I was asked that question at every interview, and I answered it with no problem but I'm still confused on what I want to do.

Most people don't even have a car until late college, if ever. At least don't make your MD decisions based on factors that small!

Iirc you are currently in your last semester in high school...why are you taking the MCAT so early?

Most people don't even have a car until late college, if ever. At least don't make your MD decisions based on factors that small!

Iirc you are currently in your last semester in high school...why are you taking the MCAT so early?

I just graduated last night to be fair haha. But I'm actually a sophomore in college. I've been doing a dual enrollment since I was a junior in high school, and I've completed enough credit hours and classes to be a sophomore. On top of that, the program at Kentucky is a 7 year program, 3 year BS. So the admissions counselors treated me as a junior.

But to answer your question, all of the BS/MD kids at Kentucky are taking it this year. Excluding one kid who hasn't had the pre reqs like the rest of us have.

I just graduated last night to be fair haha. But I'm actually a sophomore in college. I've been doing a dual enrollment since I was a junior in high school, and I've completed enough credit hours and classes to be a sophomore. On top of that, the program at Kentucky is a 7 year program, 3 year BS. So the admissions counselors treated me as a junior.

But to answer your question, all of the BS/MD kids at Kentucky are taking it this year. Excluding one kid who hasn't had the pre reqs like the rest of us have.
Wow, so you're taking the MCAT because you're technically starting your last undergrad year in fall? Talk about accelerated

Wow, so you're taking the MCAT because you're technically starting your last undergrad year in fall? Talk about accelerated

I have to. It's required for the BS/MD program.

I'm a sophomore in a 3 year program. So technically, yea, I'm about to be a junior. It's not fun at all though.

I have to. It's required for the BS/MD program.

I'm a sophomore in a 3 year program. So technically, yea, I'm about to be a junior. It's not fun at all though.
Does this mean you'll be like 22/23 when you get your MD? I think it's cool you can skip so much of undergrad, some schools (mine included) are a pain in the ass and do their best to make it take a long time, stuff like capping AP/IB credits, awarding only pass/fail instead of grades for coursework done in Europe, etc. Good on UK

Does this mean you'll be like 22/23 when you get your MD? I think it's cool you can skip so much of undergrad, some schools (mine included) are a pain in the ass and do their best to make it take a long time, stuff like capping AP/IB credits, awarding only pass/fail instead of grades for coursework done in Europe, etc. Good on UK

Assuming I do everything right and pass what I need to and with the grades then I should get an MD by the time I am 24, God willing.

Tennessee and Kentucky work together a lot when it comes to education thankfully. My junior and senior year of high school, 11/16 of the classes I took were through the University of Tennessee. Every one of the credits transferred to UK no issues.

I've heard of capping AP credits but it's kind of like a scary legend to most of my piers. I had a friend at UNC and Duke, and they talked about doing lab work over seas, coming back to college and having to repeat entire semesters and even an entire year. You must attend a higher ranked undergrad.

Tennessee and Kentucky work together a lot when it comes to education thankfully. My junior and senior year of high school, 11/16 of the classes I took were through the University of Tennessee. Every one of the credits transferred to UK no issues.

I've heard of capping AP credits but it's kind of like a scary legend to most of my piers. I had a friend at UNC and Duke, and they talked about doing lab work over seas, coming back to college and having to repeat entire semesters and even an entire year. You must attend a higher ranked undergrad.

That is awesome! They need more of this, the most motivated high schoolers can save years of time and tens of thousands of dollars shaving those years off uni.

I'm at Wustl, hence why I know so much about it and why I hosted BS/MD candidates. They cap us at 5 APs transferred, no grades transferred abroad or even from other US schools - just credit. It's stupid, as is having many required gen eds.

That is awesome! They need more of this, the most motivated high schoolers can save years of time and tens of thousands of dollars shaving those years off uni.

I'm at Wustl, hence why I know so much about it and why I hosted BS/MD candidates. They cap us at 5 APs transferred, no grades transferred abroad or even from other US schools - just credit. It's stupid, as is having many required gen eds.

Well.. I had to pay for them.. But $550 each math and English class, and $1000 for every science/biology class. Not exactly a money saver, but definitely a time saver.

Did you host BS/MD candidates this year? If so, we probably ran into each other at some point. Man, I couldn't imagine having the credits and classes transfer.

Well.. I had to pay for them.. But $550 each math and English class, and $1000 for every science/biology class. Not exactly a money saver, but definitely a time saver.

Did you host BS/MD candidates this year? If so, we probably ran into each other at some point. Man, I couldn't imagine having the credits and classes transfer.
I'd call that a money saver since someone with a typical course load here pays about $9000 per class! Tuition at private schools is insane. And no, I lived off campus last year.

I'd call that a money saver since someone with a typical course load here pays about $9000 per class! Tuition at private schools is insane. And no, I lived off campus last year.

Wow, compared to private schools that definitely is a money saver. I'm pretty sure the tuition and everything included for an in state student at Kentucky is around $9000 a semester haha. Man, that is like paying for medical school as an undergrad. But I guess it pays off when the ADCOM are looking over applications.

But I guess it pays off when the ADCOM are looking over applications.
I don't think it's worth $250,000 to attach a fancy name to your app, especially when some schools (like Wustl, Vandy or in LACs Harvey Mudd) have essentially zero name recognition despite test scores higher than Stanford/Duke/most of the Ivies. Private schools do have much more financial aid funding though, I had multiple Top 20 full tuition/full ride offers while the UCs still expected a large chunk of tuition to be paid by my parents.

You chose well just to skip those early undergrad years, together with low cost and an assured MD option you're living the dream

I don't think it's worth $250,000 to attach a fancy name to your app, especially when some schools (like Wustl, Vandy or in LACs Harvey Mudd) have essentially zero name recognition despite test scores higher than Stanford/Duke/most of the Ivies. Private schools do have much more financial aid funding though, I had multiple Top 20 full tuition/full ride offers while the UCs still expected a large chunk of tuition to be paid by my parents.

You chose well just to skip those early undergrad years, together with low cost and an assured MD option you're living the dream

Did most of the WUSTL tuition get paid for? I know Vanderbilt was around 70,000, or something like that, a year, and the scholarship they gave me covered around 45,000 I think (even with all my EC's and the fact that the Tennessee governor wrote me a letter of recommendation). The Valedictorian at my school is going to Vandy with barely any financial aid. Private school tuition man, dang.

Yea I'm pretty much set up. I still have to get accepted to medical school, so I'm going to have to squeeze some serious EC's into a little under 2 years. I don't get to have fun anytime soon. However, I'm pretty much accepted to UK as it is. Maybe I won't have to many issues getting into residency programs

Did most of the WUSTL tuition get paid for? I know Vanderbilt was around 70,000, or something like that, a year, and the scholarship they gave me covered around 45,000 I think (even with all my EC's and the fact that the Tennessee governor wrote me a letter of recommendation). The Valedictorian at my school is going to Vandy with barely any financial aid. Private school tuition man, dang.

Yea I'm pretty much set up. I still have to get accepted to medical school, so I'm going to have to squeeze some serious EC's into a little under 2 years. I don't get to have fun anytime soon. However, I'm pretty much accepted to UK as it is. Maybe I won't have to many issues getting into residency programs
I pay no tuition, correct. Vandy has actually been climbing ranks by offering huge financial aid packages to middle class people otherwise headed to more famous schools - their acceptance rate in 2005 was 40%, and seven years later when I applied it was down to 12%! (Which, by the way, is actually lower than Stanford's was in '05 - it's crazy how quickly the Top 20s are increasing in competitiveness). They offered me a full ride, covering tuition and housing, but weren't the best fit for other reasons. But people with money to spare will be charged a lot even by the most generous financial aid schools.

I suspect you'll be applying with a near-4.0 and top percentile MCAT, and your youth will make you all the more impressive and an interesting candidate. You should consider how badly you really want to stay near home, and whether it's worth the advantages of top programs to head to California or the cold, hostile northeast (you can see my CA bias). But, that's a couple years and many hours of volunteering and research away

Ah! Now I know why you are so interested and knowledge about WUSTL premed affairs!

Ah! Now I know why you are so interested and knowledge about WUSTL premed affairs!
Yeah, I've stated in a few places on here that I'm at Wustl studying Neuroscience plus my LizzyM...I certainly hope I'm right about people being much more paranoid about anonymity than they should be, I'd be easy to identify. Mimelim, Ace Khalifa, and Mjhockey are also all Wustl alums. I've seen you defend grade inflation at top schools a few times so I'd have to guess you're H or S ;)

I remember reading about that WashU program. A 3.8+/36 is incredibly difficult lol. I even knew this at the end of high school when I was looking at BS/MD programs because one of my close friends applied to many of them. I remember mentioning the 3.8+/36 to someone I know who was in their first year of med school and they told me that pretty much means that type of applicant is competitive at every school in the country based on averages even med schools like Harvard/John Hopkins. Just obtaining a 3.7+/33+ is nearly competitive at probably 90% of the schools in the U.S.

I remember reading about that WashU program. A 3.8+/36 is incredibly difficult lol. I even knew this at the end of high school when I was looking at BS/MD programs because one of my close friends applied to many of them. I remember mentioning the 3.8+/36 to someone I know who was in their first year of med school and they told me that pretty much means that type of applicant is competitive at every school in the country based on averages even med schools like Harvard/John Hopkins. Just obtaining a 3.7+/33+ is nearly competitive at probably 90% of the schools in the U.S.
Some fun facts:

The 3.8+ at Wustl undergrad is actually harder/rarer than the 36+ (top 3% of test takers), whereas that relationship is waaaay in the opposite direction at most schools. More specifically the nationwide ratio of 3.8+/36+ is 3.2, while at Wustl undergrad it's 0.7! (See Table 24 and Wustl Prehealth Handbook Appendix A). You can see why 2/3rds of the incoming premeds each year drop out before even reaching the MCAT...

The median GPA for matriculants last year was a 3.69 and the median MCAT was a 33 with duplication (multiple acceptances counts multiple times) or 32 without duplication (see Table 17 and MSAR). So really a 3.7/33 puts you dead center of the pack.