1099 and Health Insurance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moto_za

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what people typically do who are 1099 only in terms of health insurance. Best to find a plan on the marketplace or any other better options?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Marketplace unfortunately.

Reactions: 1 user
See what's on marketplace.
Then go buy directly from insurance.
Marketplace will require your SS# and enrollment with them to purchase through them and proof of income. Skip all that as you are unlikely to hit lower income thresholds.
Highly suggest buying a High Deductible plan with HSA account.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are options beyond the 'marketplace'.
Check freelancer associations. This where you are likely to find some good stuff like out of network benefits. There are no out of network benefits in my location for ****ty obamacare plans.

Check freelancer associations. This where you are likely to find some good stuff like out of network benefits. There are no out of network benefits in my location for ****ty obamacare plans.

You keep saying this but "Obamacare plans" are not a type of health plan. ACA compliant (so marketplace plans generally) and non-ACA compliant plans are types of health plans. People are free to buy both.

Reactions: 1 user

I've heard this advice before and tried to find an association that offered this but haven't had luck.

Do you have any recommendations?