This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chelewn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yes it's still possible and will be for a long time. Certain specialties don't fill their residency spots, such as FM, Primary Care, Psychiatry, IM (I think). Those are relatively "easy" to match if you do well on your USMLE boards as an FMG (Foreign Medical Graduate). Someone who has gone through this process could give you the best advice, however.

You can also match more competitive residencies (EM, Surgery) but you would need an extremely competitive application for that (top of class, top board scores, publications), etc.

Good luck!

The one item that would increase your chances the most would be to find a nice American husband/wife.

Hello,
I am new to all this and I will start studying medicine in September this year in Denmark. I've always wanted to live in America and be a doctor here.

Can I first start the USMLE tests after I become a doctor here in Denmark? Is it possible for me to become a doctor in America and what should I do?
I am no citizen or permanent resident (of USA).. I've heard something about getting more than 250 or 260 points in those tests will allow me to become a doctor? I am not sure at all

I also don't know when and where to start :)

I hope someone can help me :)

Thanks in advice

Can I ask why you want to come to USA so bad? I'm in the US and I want to go live/work in Scandanavia! haha

Members don't see this ad :)
First of all, I need to find out if it's even possible for me to become a doctor in the US (and how to become it) :)

I hope you guys will help me

Maybe you could talk a little more about your current educational background? The easiest way, if you can manage it, is to attend Medical School stateside instead.

The easiest way would be to marry an American citizen and go to med school in America. Getting 250's may sound common around here but it's actually very, very hard to do. And you still might not get in even if you did.

Thanks for your answers

do you know if it's possible to take the Bachelor's Degree here and then take the Master's Degree at an American Med School?

I don't really know what the best option is :)

I haven't started studying medicine yet, but I will in a few months :)

Upon graduating from American Medical Schools, you get a graduate degree (M.D., or D.O.), not a Bachelor's in Medicine. The issue is that, before you can ATTEND med school, you have to have a bachelor's degree in something (could be almost anything, but should, ideally, show your ability to perform consistently in rigorous academic environs).

The reason I asked about your background was that, I'm assuming you're 16-18 and just finishing high-school. If I were you, I'd do my very best at med school in your country, take the USMLE, and try to match in America before you have to do your internship/residency.

This way, if you should decide you no longer want to come here, you still have a future career in your own country, and should you decide to come here and managed tomatch, kudos to you. If, however, you couldn't match in America, but you still want to come here, you have a Bachelor's degree in one of the most rigorous courses, and could potentially apply to Med schools. The downside is, I don't know anyone, who in their right mind would want to go through Medical School twice, but hey, if it's your dream...

3 Caveats:

1. You need to make sure your Med school is certified/accredited by the various boards. I'm no expert in this, so you'll have to look it up. This one is just one of them: http://www.mbc.ca.gov/applicant/schools_recognized.html

2. I don't know how admission committees would look at someone who is trying to get through med school twice :slap:

3. Our government doesn't pay us to attend school, be ready to shell out some serious $

Last edited:
Thanks for your answer!

" If I were you, I'd do my very best at med school in your country, take the USMLE, and try to match in America before you have to do your internship/residency. "

Can I take the USMLE before finishing Med School here? How is the procedure? Is it something I have to apply for? I know nothing about the subject - We don't get to know anything about it here.

How do you do take the USMLE courses? Online or what?

What about the internship/residency? Is that something I should do in America after finishing the USMLE courses?

What do you mean about matching in America? Are you talking about the test scores?

I won't go through Med School twice :D & I hope you can help me and bare over with my many questions :)

PS: I just finished High School

I'm too lazy to read them, but they seem legit. Have a look.

http://www.wikihow.com/Become-a-Doctor

http://www.mdguru.me/node/residency-guide-for-foreign-medical-graduates-fmg-img

Each school determines when they'll let their students sit for the USMLE. The first 'Step' of the exam(s) is usually taken at the end of the second year (in a four-year program - I'm guessing yours will be a 6 year curriculum). Here's the content description: http://www.usmle.org/pdfs/step-1/2012content_step1.pdf

Most of us don't attend courses. Some attend private courses like Kaplan or DIT. Still others hire tutors. If you browse the Step 1 experiences thread, you'll get a pretty solid idea of what's needed to prepare.

Always, always, always do your own research for the important things in life. Don't rely on second-hand info. It'll save you a ton of time and headache in the long run. Use google. If you still have questions, we're always here.

http://www.usmle.org/apply/ Contact them. Also, speak to the people at the school you're planning on attending and see what they have to say about it, preferably in writing.

I know English is your second or third language, but you might want to be careful with asking people to 'bare' with you over anything ;)

Hello,
I am new to all this and I will start studying medicine next year in Scandinavia. I've always wanted to live in America and be a doctor here.

Can I first start the USMLE tests after I become a doctor here in Scandinavia? Is it possible for me to become a doctor in America and what should I do?
I am no citizen or permanent resident (of USA).. I've heard something about getting more than 250 or 260 points in those tests will allow me to become a doctor? I am not sure at all

I also don't know when and where to start :)

I hope someone can help me :)

Thanks in advice

What are the chances of FMGs matching after 2015? I read some article from JAMA saying that we should forget about the US, because the doors will be shut tight by then.