100% commited to EM, but if no interviews I don't want to be overlooked by IM.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quadzilla

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really want an EM residency, but being very competive and having low USMLE scores I need to have other options. My second choice is an IM residency. My personal statement shows my desire for IM, I have done an IM Sub-I, and I am a student member of ACP. However, I have also stated in my ERAS application that I am a member of AAEM, EMRA, and ACEP(EM memberships). Will I be overlooked by IM programs? What can I do so I won't be if I don't get any EM interviews?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You can apply to both residencies via one eras application. If you really want to do EM then list your favorite residencies first when you do your rank list and the IM residencies last. When you designate what programs you want to apply to just add the IM residencies. If you personal statement kindof adheres to both residencies then just designate that personal statement for both programs. If it doesn't then you can either write a separate EM or a separate IM personal statement and just send that one to those programs. It doesnt matter if you list that you're involved in organizations for both fields. Programs know that most students have interest in more than one field. You wont be faulted for it. I'm sure that if you apply to both programs you will receive invitations to interview from both. Most of the the time ER and Im require letters of recommendation from the same fields. So you could just send the same letters to both. However i would check with your student affairs office person that is uploading the letters for you into Eras. Ask her to read them and make sure that the letter write isn't specifically stating that you'll be a good candidate for one specific field. Sometimes letters are general - " student will make a good candiate for your program" vs. "student will make a great EM resident" (too specific). You wouldnt want to accidently send a very specific letter for EM to an IM residency. Your student affairs person should let you know.

Good Luck

Thanks--That is what I wanted to hear.

I really want an EM residency, but being very competive and having low USMLE scores I need to have other options. My second choice is an IM residency. My personal statement shows my desire for IM, I have done an IM Sub-I, and I am a student member of ACP. However, I have also stated in my ERAS application that I am a member of AAEM, EMRA, and ACEP(EM memberships). Will I be overlooked by IM programs? What can I do so I won't be if I don't get any EM interviews?

Thanks

I would definitely recommend that you write 2 separate personal statements.

Also be careful about applying to the same residency site for two different programs, especially if you plan to maintain a plan of keeping things secret from both fields. There are some people though who just want to be at certain sites and they may rank different specialties at the same hospital, and be open and honest about it. Not sure how this works out for them though.