10 most commonly tested subjects in Step CS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Reborn07

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone list them please?

Members don't see this ad.

Can someone list them please?

The board is so incredibly paranoid about this test, that posting a list is verboten. But frankly, having said that, if you look at the First Aid for the Step 2 CS, they have put in every possible scenario that you would see. There are over 150 cases covered and 30 of them in detail. When I walked out of the test, one of the first things I realized (besides the things I forgot) was that because of this book primarily, there were no surprises in the cases. And it was enough to pass this sucker.

Besides dedicating time to study for this miserable test, the key is consistency. Just practice a lot, and the day of the test will just seem like another practice session. Use a mnemonic that works for you, and write it in the corner before you enter the room. Combine steps for the sake of efficiency, be kind and supportive of your standardized patient, address them by name, show concern, and you'll be fine.

Just do not underestimate this test. It's not as simple as some posters allege.

Good luck!

Nu

There's no telling how many variations of patient encounters there might be. The USMLE won't even let you have a watch, that's how paranoid they are. Beyond that, they don't want you talking about the encounters...probably so that no one finds out what a lame test this is.

Anyway, I took it back in Jan and the best resource was First Aid for the CS. I was not surprised by any case I got during the CS, b/c they were covered in the FA.

I hate this test so much. It takes forever to schedule, it costs a grand, and it takes forever to get your results. I worried for weeks about my score.

Take the exam seriously, and study hard.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyway, I took it back in Jan and the best resource was First Aid for the CS. I was not surprised by any case I got during the CS, b/c they were covered in the FA.

Covered in the minicases? Or in the Practice cases? Or both?

Both. All in all, I liked the cases at the end of FA, b/c they simulated a full encounter. All the CS cases I got were common problems; they're not trying to trick you.