10/3: Feels good to be done...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uclaDDS101

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've always wondered what it would be like to post my breakdown. So here it is. This is what I got:

PAT:--25 (99.8%)
QR:---25 (97.4%)
RC:---23 (92.6%)
Bio:---30 (100%)
GC:---30 (100%)
OC:---29 (100%)
TS:---30 (100%)
AA:---27 (100%)

I took the Kaplan course in July. I thoroughly went through their material, and I thought it was pretty good. People say it wasn't enough, but I thought it was sufficient. During the course, I was studying about 4 hr/day, 4-5 day/wk. And I was mostly just doing the Kaplan coursework. I took a break from studying during August to take summer school. I resumed studying in September for about 3-4 hr/day, 4 day/wk. In September, I basically finished my Kaplan online stuff, did Achiever, and looked at info online. I also compiled notes from every science question I missed on practice tests. And in the week before the exam, I did 10 CDP tests and 11 CDM tests. These were my practice test results in the order I took them:

(Test:-----PAT-QR-RC--Bio-GC--OC--TS--AA)
KapDiag:--25--18--22--19--18--20--19--19
KapMid:---26--21--20--21--19--20--20--20
KapFin:----26--23--21--24--19--28--24--23
Kap2:------29--26--22--24--24--25--24--24
Kap3:------21--19--23--21--19--19--20--20
Achv1:-----21--22--15--19--21--25--21--20
Kap1:------25--26--25--29--23--28--27--26 (most similar to the real thing)
Achv2:-----21--20--19--19--19--19--19--19
Achv3:-----22--20--18--21--20--23--21--20

CDP's: 26, 23, 23, 22, 26, 28, 25, 25, 25, 28
CDM's: 21, 18, 20, 23, 21, 18, 23, 23, 24, 20, 25

Breakdown:
PAT: Kaplan, Achiever, CDP. Kaplan actually wasn't that bad for the PAT. Sure, the angles were giveaways. But key holes, cube counting, and pattern folding were pretty similar to the real thing. Achiever was just harder overall. CDP had harder cube counting and angles, and the rest was comparable to the real one. I ended this section with about 12 min left. I think I missed one key hole question and a couple of angle Q's. Overall, I'd say CDP was the best resource.

QR: Kaplan, Achiever, CDM. Throughout my preparations, I definitely struggled for time in this section. I didn't finish any Achiever QR's on time. Kaplan was similar to the real thing in difficulty. And I only finished about 5 out of 11 CDM's on time. I would say CDM helped me the most for time management. On the real thing, I ended with 10 min left. I guess I rushed a bit. After I went over my marked Q's, I still had 7 min. left. I decided to end it early cuz I had a really bad headache (my test endurance isn't the best). I guess i'll always wonder what AA I could have got if I decided to go over all of my QR answers (it would've only taken an extra point to push my 27.4 to a 28)... Oh well.

RC: Kaplan, Achiever. This has always been my worst section (even on the SAT). I hate reading. I even avoid it during my classes. My preparation for RC was minimal. I found that Achiever was most effective in preparing for RC. The real thing was a little easier, but I'm glad I was expecting something harder. Kaplan RC passages were too short and too straightforward. For the real RC, I just used S&D, and made my best guess on inference questions. I (surprisingly) finished this section with 5 min left (I didn't finish any of the Achiever RC's). However, I forgot to mark any of the hard questions, so I just moved on to QR.

Bio: Kap, Achiever, class. I got a couple of oddballs in this section. Otherwise, it was very straightforward, and it was more conceptual rather than tediously detailed. To prepare, I basically took all Kap and Achiever tests and compiled notes consisting of questions that I got wrong. I studied these notes in my last week of studying. However, I think the reason I got this score is that I actually learned a lot in my bio classes. So thanks UCLA.

GC: Kap, Achiever, my roommate. Kaplan was very good for this section. Almost exactly the same. Achiever was unnecessarily harder than the real DAT. Anyone should be fine just using Kap for GC. I don't remember anything from class freshman year, so refreshing myself was a hefty task. Luckily, my roommate is a chem genius, so he helped with the process.

OC: Kap, Achiever. I've always had a good sense for ochem. So I didn't really study for OC outside of doing Kap and Achiever tests. Both resources were pretty good practice. Unfortunately, I don't know any other good study tools for OC. I ended up finishing the science section with 40 min left. This gave me a chance to go back over all of the science questions again. After going through the science section twice, I was 99% sure that I didn't miss anything.

That's about it. I just started my third year, so I have one school year to get ready for apps. I have a little over a 3.9, and a few decent ECs. For now, I'm just really glad that this part of the battle is over...

EDIT: I've added a photo of the score report for those who wanted to see it.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• DAT4.jpg
    DAT4.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 3,659
Last edited:
:eek: congratulations on your scores man. truly impressive and one of the best scores, if not the best score ive seen on this site.

also, can you please check your personal messages on SDN-- thanks

I heard kaplan does have some nice practice tests. Do you think they're helpful?

As i said before, the kaplan tests were super helpful. just make sure after you do them you go over the explanations to the answers (all of them). More importantly, after you go over the kaplan explanations, look up concepts you were unfamiliar with from an alternate. This is to ensure (1) that you really address your weaknesses and (2) that you make sure that you bypass possible mistakes in kaplan. (I even seen more than one mistake in kaplan material. you just have to keep an eye out for it.) That's one of the biggest things I can advise: always cross-reference your sources.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going to print your score report out and frame it in my room. After waking up to them every morning, eventually I will be convinced they are mine....

I'm going to print your score report out and frame it in my room. After waking up to them every morning, eventually I will be convinced they are mine....

Yeah and I wish could have this guy's scores (Jaap)...(I think he's an ortho resident now)

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=88644

I was soo close too... I calculated my "actual AA", and it turned out to be a 27.4:smack: Oh well, I definitely can't complain. I guess 27/30/25 isn't too far from a 28/29/20:rolleyes:

hey man you ripped off more 30's than my neighbors who were busted for holding up a shell! that deserves :thumbup::thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah and I wish could have this guy's scores (Jaap)...(I think he's an ortho resident now)

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=88644

I was soo close too... I calculated my "actual AA", and it turned out to be a 27.4:smack: Oh well, I definitely can't complain. I guess 27/30/25 isn't too far from a 28/29/20:rolleyes:

Great scores. Congrats!

Jaap had a great point in his writeup...whether you get a 29 or a 22 really doesn't matter, as you are going to whatever school you pretty much want. Once you get into school, the DAT is forgotten about for the rest of your life.

I am by no means taking away from your amazing score..I just want others to realize you don't need a 29 to be a "success." Anything over 20 is pretty dang good!

Have you gotten any interviews this year? Just wondering bc my GPA is the same-- I have yet to take the DAT. I am applying next year. Did you do any post-bac to boost your GPA or did you just depend on rockin the DAT?

Have you gotten any interviews this year? Just wondering bc my GPA is the same-- I have yet to take the DAT. I am applying next year. Did you do any post-bac to boost your GPA or did you just depend on rockin the DAT?
I just started my third year, so I didn't apply this cycle. I have to wait until next June. And no, I didn't do a post-bac cuz, again, I'm still a third year. If your GPA is around a 3.9, I'm sure you'll do very well on the DAT. It's not a hard test. Just don't be intimidated by it. If your applying this cycle, i'd suggest you take the test as soon as your ready. Time is running a little short.

Jaap had a great point in his writeup...whether you get a 29 or a 22 really doesn't matter, as you are going to whatever school you pretty much want.

It seems like you've been out of the game for a while... I wouldn't exactly say that someone with a 22 could get into whatever school they want. I guess DAT score trends have been going up since you took it. Considering that, I likewise would not count myself getting into every school i apply to. I understand that dental school admissions is much more complex than just having decent stats.

impressive, very.

Please explain me what are these shortcuts mean: S&D,OP's,CDM,CDP?

Thanks

By the way I know that one girl had 30 on her DAT, and she is at Columbia now.
It is 100% !!!!!!!!

impressive, very.

Please explain me what are these shortcuts mean: S&D,OP's,CDM,CDP?

Thanks

By the way I know that one girl had 30 on her DAT, and she is at Columbia now.
It is 100% !!!!!!!!

S&D: search and destroy method for RC
OP: Original Post
CDM: Crack DAT MATH (good for QR)
CDP: CRACK DAT PAT (esp needed for PAT)

S&D: search and destroy method for RC
OP: Original Post
CDM: Crack DAT MATH (good for QR)
CDP: CRACK DAT PAT (esp needed for PAT)

Oh , Thank you. The PAT I don't think I need since I got 19 without preparation, just have design background and very good hands-eye skills. This is basically why I decided to be a dentist. I have a very good( sorry for speaking for myself, this is what ppl say) hands. I can do very jewelry job and very patient with that and highly good in shapes. But my DAT is very low first time, and I guess that I am out of business this year since I can retake DAT only after 90 days and it will be very late for schools, February 18 is the earliest I can take DAT again
Very upset, even though studied a lot. Hate to miss a year since I am not even in my 20's, but older.
Originally was going into Pharmacy, but did not do well either on PCAT.

:((

Any advices?

Thanks everyone !!!!!!!!!!

quick question to anyone who can answer it.
do you have to take the kaplan course to have access to their online stuff or can you just pay separately for the online stuff somewhere?

quick question to anyone who can answer it.
do you have to take the kaplan course to have access to their online stuff or can you just pay separately for the online stuff somewhere?

You can pay for just the online stuff, but its still around $1200...

I kind of wish there was an "I like this immensely" button to boost it up on the boards.

I printed off your scores and stuck them on my wall for inspiration/motivation. Congratulations!!!!

It seems like you've been out of the game for a while... I wouldn't exactly say that someone with a 22 could get into whatever school they want. I guess DAT score trends have been going up since you took it. Considering that, I likewise would not count myself getting into every school i apply to. I understand that dental school admissions is much more complex than just having decent stats.

holy hell. let me just start off by saying congratufreakinlations. and i don't mean that sarcastically. those are some phenomenal scores. you should be seriously proud of that; just out of this world. as for your above comment; i think what he means to say is that anyone above a 20 is pretty much guaranteed an interview at the least; granted that person's gpa's not on the fritz. what happens beyond the interview is really up to you and how you do and how much of an impression you made on the interviewer. but anything above a 20 i think merits an interview at most schools. your school should get you interview wherever you want haha and pending your performance at the interview, you're pretty much a shoehorn in. Congratulations again and good luck with the application cycle when you do apply next year.

UCLAdds101, in preparation for bio, did you actually spend time studying from the class notes/textbook/powerpoint etc? If you did, how extensively were you reviewing as far as details are concerned? And have you taken any upper bio classes, which were helpful for the DAT? Thanks!

UCLAdds101, in preparation for bio, did you actually spend time studying from the class notes/textbook/powerpoint etc? If you did, how extensively were you reviewing as far as details are concerned? And have you taken any upper bio classes, which were helpful for the DAT? Thanks!

I usually don't take extensive notes during science classes. I think writing during class is distracting, so I usually just sit in class and listen for the most part. As a result, I didn't have class notes to study for bio. I also tend not to buy textbooks since they're so expensive. If I do buy one, I always regret it because I never get around to reading it. And for powerpoints, I usually have a ritualistic recycling session after each quarter, so those are all gone. In short, I didn't study any old class material for the dat.

However, that doesn't mean I didn't use the info I learned from my classes in order to achieve success on the dat. I just didn't go back and study it specifically. Most of the info I had already learned when I took the classes. I used the kaplan material and achiever tests to pinpoint the topics that I had forgotten. Then, I used wiki to fill in the holes. As far as my level of detail for each topic, I was aiming to match the detail of each wikipedia page I read.

Finally, I hadn't taken too many upper div bio by the time I took the test (after second year). If I were to choose the most helpful, I'd say biochem. It just gave me a lot of confidence on the metabolic pathways. Another upper bio that would definitely help is systems/gross anatomy. I just took this class last quarter. (Unfortunately, I started class right after I took my DAT, so the class didn't help my test.) I often heard things in anatomy class that I saw on my dat or on my practice tests. So it would be wise (but not necessary) to take a class like this before your dat.

Good luck

Don't believe those scores/gpa for a minute. If you have scores like that go into cancer research and help out the sick and dying. If you are that smart you could probably do great things in Medicine.:D

Hey ucladds101,

What were the Kap1, 2, 3 practice tests? Were they online tests offered online in your Kaplan class? I have the pdf files of the Kaplan files, but only the diagnostic/midterm/final. Thanks!

Don't believe those scores/gpa for a minute. If you have scores like that go into cancer research and help out the sick and dying. If you are that smart you could probably do great things in Medicine.:D

What a coincidence; I've just picked up a research project regarding osteosarcoma, or "bone cancer." I do plan to use my mental (and manual) dexterity for good. But why do I have to be in medicine to do great things? Unlike a lot of other SDNers out there, I'm not going into dentistry for the money. Hopefully it'll comfort you to know that I'll be applying for DDS/PhD programs. I'm sorry you think I'm too smart for the field I've chosen. Honestly, I just don't think of myself that highly.

Last edited:
Hey ucladds101,

What were the Kap1, 2, 3 practice tests? Were they online tests offered online in your Kaplan class? I have the pdf files of the Kaplan files, but only the diagnostic/midterm/final. Thanks!

They were the practice tests as part of the online material. In total, I took 6 tests with Kaplan: diag, midterm, final, and prc tests 1, 2, and 3.

"What a coincidence; I've just picked up a research project regarding osteosarcoma, or "bone cancer." I do plan to use my mental (and manual) dexterity for good. But why do I have to be in medicine to great things? Unlike a lot of other SDNers out there, I'm not going into dentistry for the money. Hopefully it'll comfort you to know that I'll be applying for DDS/PhD programs. I'm sorry you think I'm too smart for the field I've chosen. Honestly, I just don't think of myself that highly."

I don't think you're too smart, but it is good to know you'll be doing some positive research and maybe doing a PhD program. We need the best and brightest out there curing cancer. Good luck!:thumbup:

They were the practice tests as part of the online material. In total, I took 6 tests with Kaplan: diag, midterm, final, and prc tests 1, 2, and 3.

How different would you say those online exams were compared to the diag, midterm, final? I've found all Kaplan exams (the ones I have) to be quite similar in content as far as science sections are concerned. Would you say you've learned a good deal of info from taking those online exams or could you imagine achieving the same results without those practice tests?

As far as RC is concerned, did you SnD the questions one by one? How did you time yourself during practice tests--i.e. did you aim to finish 5 or 10 min early to allow yourself to look at harder questions one more time etc.?

Thanks!

"What a coincidence; I've just picked up a research project regarding osteosarcoma, or "bone cancer." I do plan to use my mental (and manual) dexterity for good. But why do I have to be in medicine to great things? Unlike a lot of other SDNers out there, I'm not going into dentistry for the money. Hopefully it'll comfort you to know that I'll be applying for DDS/PhD programs. I'm sorry you think I'm too smart for the field I've chosen. Honestly, I just don't think of myself that highly."

I don't think you're too smart, but it is good to know you'll be doing some positive research and maybe doing a PhD program. We need the best and brightest out there curing cancer. Good luck!:thumbup:

Thanks. Good luck to you as well.

How different would you say those online exams were compared to the diag, midterm, final? I've found all Kaplan exams (the ones I have) to be quite similar in content as far as science sections are concerned. Would you say you've learned a good deal of info from taking those online exams or could you imagine achieving the same results without those practice tests?

As far as RC is concerned, did you SnD the questions one by one? How did you time yourself during practice tests--i.e. did you aim to finish 5 or 10 min early to allow yourself to look at harder questions one more time etc.?

Thanks!

All of the Kaplan practice tests, with the exception of practice test #3, were very representative of the real test. For instance, notice the upward pattern in my kaplan tests (excluding practice test #3) leading in synchrony to my real dat: 19->20->23->24->26--> 27(real one)

I don't think I would have achieved the same success without utilizing all of the practice tests that I did. It wasn't just that act of taking the tests that helped me. What helped most of all was going over the answers afterwards.

For RC, I first scanned the passage, and then I SnDed every question one by one. RC is my worst section. During practice tests, I usually didn't know whether or not I would finish the RC section. My goal on RC is speed, since I tend to read very very slowly (even when doing SnD). On the real DAt I finished RC a little early. However, since I'm not used to marking questions (since i never have time to go over them anyway), i didn't go back and look over my answers. Instead I just moved on to QR.

For cube counting of PAT, did you make a table counting all the cubes at once and then answer 3-4 questions of the same diagram (as kaplan suggests)? Thanks again!

What a coincidence; I've just picked up a research project regarding osteosarcoma, or "bone cancer." I do plan to use my mental (and manual) dexterity for good. But why do I have to be in medicine to do great things? Unlike a lot of other SDNers out there, I'm not going into dentistry for the money. Hopefully it'll comfort you to know that I'll be applying for DDS/PhD programs. I'm sorry you think I'm too smart for the field I've chosen. Honestly, I just don't think of myself that highly.
lol!!!

I just wanted to say thanks. You are an inspiration to all of us. Please keep us updated on where you go from here. It sounds like you have the golden ticket to anywhere you want to go.

Congrats!

Congrats, I must me dreaming that ppl like are really out there.
If I ever got these kinds of scores it would be pointless because I would die right there with heart attack!
lol.

Congrats, I must me dreaming that ppl like are really out there.
If I ever got these kinds of scores it would be pointless because I would die right there with heart attack!
lol.

Haha. Thanks. Don't be too awestruck, though... It's not like I'm a genius or anything. I'm just like any other undergrad out there. I guess I was just having a good (and lucky) day. Scores like mine are definitely attainable. If you haven't taken your DAT yet, good luck! Just know that it doesn't take a genius to score high on this test.

Haha. Thanks. Don't be too awestruck, though... It's not like I'm a genius or anything. I'm just like any other undergrad out there. I guess I was just having a good (and lucky) day. Scores like mine are definitely attainable. If you haven't taken your DAT yet, good luck! Just know that it doesn't take a genius to score high on this test.

How can you have time to be like any other undergrad with that crazy GPA, DAT, and EC list? I have seriously busted my butt to get my scores/grades and make room for ECs, so I'm wondering how you had time to do anything besides study??? Photographic memory? Please enlighten us! lol