$10,000 fine for asking a patient about guns

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That's <sarcasm> AWESOME </sarcasm>, especially since access to firearms is a risk factor for suicide.

What is problematic is that, especially for psychiatrists, what happens when one of their clients does something like the Colorado shooter? Will docs then be exempt? Because you are screwed if you do, and screwed if you don't.

You can't ask a patient if they have a gun. You get fined for that. You also can be liable if a patient has a gun, and they shoot someone and the doc did not warn someone. What the heck?

Members don't see this ad :)
Going to med school in Florida, we discussed this a lot. Our attendings seemed to think that the law said that it was ok to ask if medically relevant. Can't say that I've read the text myself, though.

The original link is about the appeal made by our Governor after that July 3rd block. Thankfully, I got to keep my license when I asked a clinically depressed alcoholic marine about guns in his home, which his wife thankfully had made him remove. Hopefully it'll stay that way.