1 Year Master's Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SavoirFaire

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am in the process of re-applying to medical school. I am technically still on the waitlist at two schools (so there is still a chance), but I would like to go ahead and plan my year under the assumption that I do not make it this cycle. That way I will be productive during the gap year if it comes to it.

What are some 1 year master's programs that I could do? I realize it is late to be thinking about it, but I was wondering if there are any programs I could still apply to. Meaning the deadline hasn't passed.

Members don't see this ad.

What are your stats and why specifically are you looking at Masters programs?

If you have a low GPA do a post-bacc and reapply (uGPA (of which post-bac is a part) >>> grad GPA in eyes of adcoms).

If you have a bad or unbalanced MCAT retake.

If you have bad EC's beef them up.

If you have a low GPA do a post-bacc and reapply (uGPA (of which post-bac is a part) >>> grad GPA in eyes of adcoms).

Agreed. Masters are a lot of money and time, as well as a risk should you not fare as well as you'd like. I'm in your same situation (2 waitlisted schools). My personal stats are a 3.5 with a 27N and tons of ECs and research and a publication. So for me, beefing up my MCAT would be WAY better than a Masters.

Members don't see this ad :)

This is dependent on the school but is true for most schools.

If you do undergrad courses during you grad degree, it counts toward your post-bacc GPA (cumulative GPA). With the exception of courses that count toward your degree. However, it is a better idea to do a post-bacc unclassified (rather than waste your time with a special post-bacc or SMP where they are for people with higher end stats and cost more).

Last edited:
Drexel University has a few. Tell us where your from so it would be easier to assist you.

I have the exact same stats as you actually. 3.5 GPA and 27N (10 BS, 7 PS, 10 VR) MCAT. The only issue with retaking the MCAT is that I don't know if I can bring it up. I had a lot of issues with the test. The 27N was a great improvement from the first time I took the MCAT so I stopped there.

I am a Georgia resident. There is a certificate program at PCOM - GA campus here.

Are you interested in DO schools? A 3.5 and a 27 would be golden for most DO schools including PCOM-GA if you apply this cycle. Instead of wasting money doing a Masters just get a job while continuing your clinical activities. If you would only do MD you're going to have to retake the MCAT and get a balanced a 31+ unless you have some extenuating circumstance (being a URM and/or disadvantaged and/or extremely unique EC) that you're not telling us about.

Either way a Masters program is a waste of time and an even bigger waste of money.

So you would recommend doing a formal post-bacc or taking additional undergrad classes to boost a gpa before doing an SMP? Wouldn't the SMP be a better route? Sure they inflate their GPAs a bit, but they're def. a better indication of the applicants ability to handle the med school curriculum, instead of taking more advanced undergraduate coursework? And if you do well, I think you've significantly improved your chances of getting in. In the end, you're taking classes beyond the "normal" endpoint of your UG career for the purposes of boosting a GPA, and in order to boost a 3.0 or sub 3.0 to a more competitive range (3.5+) you're going to have to take probably around 4-5 semesters (12 credits minimum) with all A's to get that 3.5 .

But the OP does already have a 3.5cGPA (whats your sGPA if you don't mind me asking?) so the MCAT/ECs/PS might be things to look at.

Just my opinion. All I know for sure is, re-applying, or the thought of it, def. sucks! Especially when you're on a couple of wait lists. I am in the same situation (on 2 wait lists) as the OP, except I had 3.1sGPA, 3.0something cGPA but very good LORs (except maybe a good-avg committee) and lots of shadowing, good ECs, some research and int'l volunteering.

Both campuses of Midwestern have a one year program, although I do not know if they are accepting apps still fo rthe fall.
Loyola also has one as does Rosalind Franklin.

I want to cordially disagree with most of the opinions here. If an applicant has GPAs greater than 3.0 and an MCAT 24+, and decides to do a 1 year masters program that includes classes such as: Gross Anatomy, Biochemistry, Physiology, Genetics, Microbiology, Cell Biology, etc. can HELP the applicant.

I feel taking a graduate program that mirrors medical school classes can only help the applicant, because by doing well in a graduate level setting will further show adcoms that the applicant can handle medical school loads. Obviously, a graduate GPA can't technically replace undergraduate GPA, but if you're already borderline, a successful medical-related masters program could help your case.

University of South Florida has a one year masters program that is geared towards getting you into medical school

Tulane has one specifically for pre-meds

They have gross anatomy, pharm, medical ethics, biochem, physiology, the cell biology of cancer, stuff like that.

I've met a few who went there and they loved it and said it really helped them get in.

You are talking about Tulane's ACP Program, right?
I believe there's someone on SDN who did that. I think that's one of the programs that require you to be waitlisted in order to be considered.
If you have money and effort to work hard, SMP will be definitely helpful. Granted, SMP will provide another way to show that you can handle medical school work if MCAT and GPA are conflicting (it would not replace low MCAT; it may just give something else for adcoms to look at).