1 year critical care cardiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CCcardiology

Reaction score
IMG currently in the 2nd year of a decent university program, H1b. Before starting residency, I did 2 years of research fellowship in advanced HF/critical care cardiology with a very good production of research studies as a first author. I am currently waiting for my green card, which most likely I will not receive in time for applying next year. I am more and more convinced of applying to critical care. Do you think I can find a decent program for a 1 year cc fellowship BEFORE my cards fellowship?

Members don't see this ad.

IMG currently in the 2nd year of a decent university program, H1b. Before starting residency, I did 2 years of research fellowship in advanced HF/critical care cardiology with a very good production of research studies as a first author. I am currently waiting for my green card, which most likely I will not receive in time for applying next year. I am more and more convinced of applying to critical care. Do you think I can find a decent program for a 1 year cc fellowship BEFORE my cards fellowship?

If you do cc before another subspecialty you have to do two years.

You should check with the ABIM if they will count the one year before the same as they would count the one year after before doing this.

Might as well do 2 years instead so at least you are boarded in CCM in the event you aren’t able to secure a cardiology position.

If you are really interested in treating critically ill cardiovascular patients (and not using this to make yourself a maybe stronger cardiology applicant), could probably skip the cardiology fellowship and find a job that lets you do just that with CCM alone.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your answers. My interest is definitely in advanced heart failure therapies and short term mechanical circulatory support - looking at my mentors who work in the field, they are amazing cardiac intensivist but still have no formal training in critical care.

Thank you for your answers. My interest is definitely in advanced heart failure therapies and short term mechanical circulatory support - looking at my mentors who work in the field, they are amazing cardiac intensivist but still have no formal training in critical care.

Most heart failure fellowships are their own subspecialty critical care fellowships really, at least in part. If that is what you want to do then just do a heart failure year, ostensibly with these same mentors. If you want to learn vents and taking care of everything else that isn't the sick sick heart, then do two years of critical care OR do the cards fellowship and then a year of critical care.